Renegade Projects Network Forums
Patching extra functionality into <gamemd.exe> - Printable Version

+- Renegade Projects Network Forums (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com)
+-- Forum: Inject the Battlefield (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Forum: Ares General Discussion (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Patching extra functionality into <gamemd.exe> (/showthread.php?tid=16)

- Blade - 04.04.2005

I've found a bug with the 1.04 patch, if you use the ThirdLoad= colour then all the single player load screens will use that rather than soviet load that they used previously.

- pd - 04.04.2005

so they are obviously hardcoded to use the last in the list... tried putting thirdload before sovietload?

- Blade - 04.04.2005

Yeah, no joy, it's still purple.

- Bobingabout - 05.04.2005

strange, how ecactly did you code it PD? and please translate it to something more readable than asm. eg, is it if allied use allied load, if soviet use soviet load, else use thirdload etc?

- pd - 05.04.2005

The original code:
Code:
if(side==0)Color=GetColorByName("AlliedLoad");
else Color=GetColorByName("SovietLoad");

My edited code:
Code:
if(side==0)Color=GetColorByName("AlliedLoad");
elseif(side==2)Color=GetColorByName("ThirdLoad");
else Color=GetColorByName("SovietLoad");

Anyway, I changed that at all the three references of "GetColorByName", one of that could have been the loadscreen for SP, so that I hardcoded it to thirdload now.
Wouldn't be a problem to fix that again I think.

- Bobingabout - 05.04.2005

if thats what you did, then strange...

- Marshall - 05.04.2005

Bad news pd, I'm getting an IE.
I am running my in-dev mod:
1. When run with version 1.03 of the patch there are no problems.
2. When run with version 1.04 of the patch, I get an IE just as my starting credits starts rolling (about 2-5000 credits have been awarded when the IE occurs). I can see the GUI but my units have not started revealing so the battlefield is all black.

No changes have been made between running 1.03 and 1.04 (I tried it several times to be sure).

Attached is the except.txt

- Guest - 05.04.2005

Are you sure you dont have a cracked game? If you have, then look to debug:there is one word: COPYPROTECTION

- pd - 05.04.2005

Quote:Are you sure you dont have a cracked game? If you have, then look to debug:there is one word: COPYPROTECTION
Whoever wrote that... think before posting!

@Marshall:
Eeeeeeeehk.
That cries for a new release man.

BA3000... the location of my new data segment, which doesn't exist yet in 1.04! :mellow:
No idea how that could happen to be honest...
Lemme get rid of my current IE problem and I'll send you a new version.

1.05? Hm. It contains the unlimited paradrops, though.
Let's call it 1.045 anyway, shall we?

BTW, thanks for finding that Wink

- Bobingabout - 06.04.2005

why not 1.04b? b for bugfix

and whoever wrote about cracked game, why would copy protection apply? no copy protection is being brocken, infact, in most cases this forces you to use an original game because this patch can only be applied with an unmodified gamemd.exe. which means you still require the CD.

as for cracking goes, you could call what PD is doing cracking, but a more accurate term would be hacking. what PD is doing is 1 step up from modding, nothing for personal profit, and nothing to cheat WW/EA out of money, in anything it gives EA more money becuase it forces users to use an uncracked game.

only thing in the EULA that has been brocken is the "You may not modify the game in any way" which modding breaks anyway, and WW don't really mind you doing that. i agree what PD is doing is borderline, but 1 thing it isn't doing is cheating WW/EA out of money. and most of these rules in the EULA was written spacificy to discorage the illegal reproduction and distribution of the game.

- Marshall - 06.04.2005

Whilst Bobingabout has got it exactly right and it needed saying.

HOWEVER, I implore all thread visitors not to continue any discussion of any legal implications here. Use another thread so that this one can be maintained for development discussions.

So pd, what's the cause of this problem?

- Renegade - 06.04.2005

I just experienced the exact same thing Marsh told about 1.04.
Without the patch, the game starts fine.

EDIT: Attached the except.

- Bobingabout - 06.04.2005

ok, do you have any idea what might be caausing the error PD? you mentioned a data segment that doesn't exist yet.

- pd - 07.04.2005

Yes.
1.04 was released when trying to improve the whole thing.
I added a new data segment, which - for some reason - doesn't exist yet in 1.04.
Maybe I wrote code which accesses it but I didn't create the segment yet.
No problem with that.

The reason I cannot release a new version is that I'm having another error, which I dunno the reason for yet.
Besides, school fucks me up I can't do many things.
So please be patient.

- Bobingabout - 07.04.2005

in other words, he's not going to grt time till weekend