Renegade Projects Network Forums

Full Version: DFD-R4: 603 vs. 932, 336 vs. 991
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
DFD: Daily Feature Deathmatch

The Cruel Fight For Implementation

This is a Daily Feature Deathmatch post. If you are unfamiliar with the background of this event, please read the announcement, the adjustment and the schedule.

Fight 1

[603] Turrets and IFV logic on buildings vs. [932] Improving of Alpha Light feature.

Fight 2

[336] Cameo text vs. [991] New tiberium/ore tree types

After the fight is over, two of these issues will be suspended, while the other two move on to the next round.
Remember that the coders will not take part in the discussion, so make your arguments complete, concise and convincing - when it's over, it's over.

Part of that is clearly marking what outcome you support for which issue.
There should be no ambiguity in the issue you're talking about, and it should be clear what outcome you support. Feel free to put your stance in bold, and use simple terminology like "kill #69" or "I want #42 to survive".
This use of simple terminology should be part of a larger argumentation - if this is all your post consists of, it will be ignored. We are interested in argumentations and details to consider, not votes.

A decision will be made either way, a lack of discussion will not cause all issues to live.

Be friendly, be civil, be logical.
You are allowed to try to deconstruct the arguments of those arguing against your candidate, but remember that they don't make the call - there is really no point in getting personal.

The discussion should be contained in this thread, argumentations elsewhere will be ignored, but you are allowed to transfer and adapt points made elsewhere in the past.

We want a good, clean fight.
Let's get it on! Dual M16

These fights are largely automatically generated - if an issue turns out to be unfit for combat, it will be disqualified and the opponent will go into the queue.
Support:
[603] multigunner turrets are just too appealing to be ignored.
[991] new ore trees would help with several TS TC's that have hit this particular wall.
I back 603 and 336

603 because I really like the idea of a defence system which can adapt however required

336 I picked because I look forward to possibility of being able to redo cameos without anything bar Notepad [ok can call me lazy but that isn't whole side to it], simplicity imo makes for less frustration etc

I do like 991 as well but it just seems a bit deep at this time to be focusing on, could be wrong but just my thoughts when look at each issue side-by-side
Fight 1: I don't really care that much about either feature, but I'm leaning towards support for #932.

Fight 2: #336 would be a convenient feature, but at the end of the day it only saves modders a little time. #991 is more popular and would allow modders to put a bit more creativity into the resource system of their mod.
Support #991.
Support #603. Multigunner Turrets would win so hard.

Support #991. New ore types would give some flexibility for extending resource systems.

Administrative Notice:

Since the last post in this thread is almost five days old, we will assume the debate is over and proceed to judging.
Fight 1

A glance at the ICS box pretty much decides this one, but even if it didn't, as much as I like the shiny that alpha lights would bring and as much as the fixes proposed are needed, IFV-like behavior on buildings just opens up more possibilities.

Kill: #932
Support: #603

Fight 2

Cameo text, as said multiple times during this event, is a very useful feature, and it was amazingly dumb of EA/Westwood to take it out.
Alas, the development and localization use it would get pales in comparison to the possibilities opened up by enabling new resource types and generators.

That, and #991 has thrice as much ICS as #336.

Kill: #336
Support: #991
Fight 1
The alpha light digging and cloaking/disguising issues are rather bugs than new features and they should be regarded and fixed as such.

But the animated alpha light, which is a new feature is not wanted, compared to the Turrets and IFB logic.

Fight 2
Indeed, the cameo issue is so far down the list and the "ore tree" one is trailing the Top 16. Cameos had no support in round 4, thus it's new tiberium/ore trees.