Renegade Projects Network Forums

Full Version: Patching extra functionality into <gamemd.exe>
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:
Quote:Quote:
Why rename? Would that not interfere with the New Paradrop superweapons, not to mention all the mods it would mess up.
Because now it use by DropPod too
So the ParaDropInf and ParaDropNum tags will just cease to work? This means then a whole pile of mods which are already out and may not be releasing any further versions will not work with the new version of the Rock Patch. Could you at least keep the old tags valid so they can be used too for the same function? Maybe if you insist on changing tags in the future, use some kind of generic tag like Infantry= and Units=, instead of renaming it every time a new SW is implemented.
Then they shouldn't have been released dependent on a work in progress if the author did not intend to maintain compatibility as the project evolved.
or, provide the version its dependant on.
I will not delete old RP files, while Ren won't delete it Smile

Quote:So the ParaDropInf and ParaDropNum tags will just cease to work? This means then a whole pile of mods which are already out and may not be releasing any further versions will not work with the new version of the Rock Patch. Could you at least keep the old tags valid so they can be used too for the same function? Maybe if you insist on changing tags in the future, use some kind of generic tag like Infantry= and Units=, instead of renaming it every time a new SW is implemented.
yep. Use DropInf, DropInfNum e.t.c with NewParaDrop and DropPod SWs.

Yes, the next Rock Patch will not compatible with any mod at the release Smile
But I hope, that authors will update mods as soon as possible.
well, it does kinda give me an excuse to delay my mod release again.

1 small request, let me beta 1.09 Tongue
I would suggest a public beta so the beta testing goes faster

could RP CLONE IronCurtain,ChronoSphere,ForceShield?

could RP SUPPORT LASER BIG CANNON--A  thick laser?

could RP SUPPORT ChronoBeam attack air ?

could RP SUPPORT JarmenKell'S ANTI TANK WEAPON?
Hey "Guest" (same IP as ~zhaihs~ from the thread I locked), if this goes on, Renegade or DCoder should ban your IP.

If you have ideas for new features, put them into the wishlist and vote for them in the votelist.

What you're doing isn't only requesting (which is by itself not wanted here) but also spamming. So leave it or get doomed.

---
As for this thread's current topic, beta testing certainly isn't a bad idea, but then again any RP version is a public beta, as in WiP and never to be finished, and probably always gonna be a bit buggy (it doesn't mean bugs can't be solved, but new features = new bugs).
So I'd say simply put out new versions more frequently (originally, I had monthly in mind... I know I didn't really go after that myself).

And if there would be beta versions, they shouldn't be public. It wouldn't help if some people just told you "this doesn't work, that doesn't work etc etc" (see Bughouse... some error descriptions just suck).
Experienced modders should test them as they know what they're doing.
Quote:if this goes on, Renegade or DCoder should ban your IP.
Not should, WILL.
pd Wrote:As for this thread's current topic, beta testing certainly isn't a bad idea, but then again any RP version is a public beta, as in WiP and never to be finished, and probably always gonna be a bit buggy (it doesn't mean bugs can't be solved, but new features = new bugs).
So I'd say simply put out new versions more frequently (originally, I had monthly in mind... I know I didn't really go after that myself).

And if there would be beta versions, they shouldn't be public. It wouldn't help if some people just told you "this doesn't work, that doesn't work etc etc" (see Bughouse... some error descriptions just suck).
Experienced modders should test them as they know what they're doing.

RP-Gen and Launch Base will make that process very easy.
RP-Gen is almost finished and will allow CnCVK to create a new RockPatch installer in about 5 minutes without sending me anything. Generated installers will be dual compatible with Launch Base / non-Launch Base and allow the distribution languages to be supported (if CnCVK provides the language-specific mix files). Further to Bobingabout's problem, users can override the default language check with a command line switch.
Launch Base users can choose the directory to install to so that multiple versions of the RockPatch can be kept side-by-side in Launch Base.

The Launch Base check-for-updates facility can download the latest version of the RockPatch if CnCVK spends a few minutes setting up the update check file and download location.
This would also allow two different types of RockPatch - one that checks-for-updates to the public download, and one that checks-for-updates to the Beta download. Only beta testers get given the original beta so only they can auto-update to the latest beta.

Launch Base is almost ready for beta testing, I just need to integrate DCoders dll to support audio.bag/ra2md.csf/mix file writing.
Quote:if CnCVK provides the language-specific mix files
No. Only English version of rp.csf will included.
Another languages should be download separately Smile
this allow unlimited number of languages
if someone want to add another language, he should send it to me
and I will add it.

Quote:if CnCVK spends a few minutes setting up the update check file and download location.
I can.

Quote:This would also allow two different types of RockPatch - one that checks-for-updates to the public download, and one that checks-for-updates to the Beta download. Only beta testers get given the original beta so only they can auto-update to the latest beta.
Did you forget about revisions?
CnCVK Wrote:Another languages should be download separately
The way that RP-Gen is currently set up, you can enter mix files for English, German, French, Korean, Chinese. English is required. If the other languages are provided then a patch will be created to convert the english file into the other language. The patches are very small and have the added benefit of allowing language-specific graphics, etc, if they are ever needed. This also allows changes to the default Keyboardmd.ini, which is language-specific.
This will also minimise downloads and confusion (imagine the other-language users trying to find the other-language files).
I really really don't want people adding loose mod files manually if it can be avoided - this ignores the whole point of Launch Base.
To make RP-Gen accept just the additional csf files would not be as good, and would require some big changes to the code, but I can look into this if need be.

CnCVK Wrote:Did you forget about revisions?
I think you misunderstand how the Launch Base versioning system works:
The current version of the RockPatch (about to be released) is 1.09.0030
The third number is your revision.

This is only one Type of RockPatch though.
I am suggesting that a second type be made available for Launch Base that has a different update check file - so only authorised users can update to the latest beta. Everyone else can only update to the latest public release.
For example, the public might be able to upgrade to 1.09.0045, whereas the beta testers can upgrade their "Beta RockPatch" to verison 1.09.0067

PS. CnCVK, I have just sent you the new RockPatch installer.

Djohe here:
I want to know one thing that i miss very muchand that is what happened to the Tiberian Sun Continious Sonic Beam in RockPatch you where working on before RP1.08SE in this post C&CVK?

http://forums.renegadeprojects.com/showt...73#pid5673
I suppose it was pure laziness by him.
I discovered those modification possibilities before, but I never felt like creating control tags for them... you see, you don't always have time for everything, although it's sad Tongue

But good point, some flag like IsContinousBeam=yes should be easy to implement (well, as I know the code, I can say it IS).
IsMagBeam=yes?
Or what are you guys talking about?