Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veterancy Changes
I have seen wishes for more promotion stages, wishes for veteran/elite abilities to stack, wishes for veteran/elite versions of myriads of flags like VeteranSoylent/EliteSoylent and so on... I myself will not implement those.

I will implement the so-called New Upgrade System and custom Insignia so you can modify things the way you see fit without me having to triplicate code based on your veterancy level. Though that would need extra code to handle which veterancy level to treat the unit as for purposes of unit type selection, veterancy selection and such, but it's no biggie.

Discuss, share ideas, queestions, thoughts, etc., but the first paragraph is really decided as far as I'm concerned.

(Additionally, I believe Abilities like FIREPOWER or ARMOR should be a variable multiplier based on your current experience rather than a fixed one. I can code that up, if it's deemed useful, but let's refrain from discussing other Abilities-issues in this thread.)

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
New Upgrade System + custom Insignia = Happy Dupl3xxX
This is very usefull, as the only real thing anoying about "NUS" is the missing insignia thingi.
"NextStep=[unit]" No limmits! ship the chopper FTW!!!
"Insigna=[shp]" possibly even a animation? would kick ass!
This would need the unit's HP to be copied across to the new unit (either capped at max strength or as a percentage)

It would also be useful in this setup to have per-unit VeteranRatio= flags
Ever wondered what the hell is going on?
Believe me friend you're not the only one.
--Lysdexia

Check out Launch Base for RA2/YR - http://marshall.strategy-x.com
Also home to the Purple Alert mod, 1.002 UMP, and the YR Playlist Manager.
in your "New Upgrade System". In NPatch/Rockpatch. when a unit upgrade, it must have the same Locomotor which disappointed a lot of people. What are you thinking about that?

VK could fix it but he is lazy and dont care Big Grin

EDIT: you can also add: DeployToPromote=yes/no to the upgrade unit. Then you can make it work as a deploying unit that can deploy to other vehicles.
Quote:VK could fix it but he is lazy and dont care
Unless he has explicitly said that he hasn't fixed it simply because he's lazy, your opinion on that is irrelevant. As for my implementation, I don't see why it's such an unreasonable limitation, but sure I'll look into removing it.

should be up to the modder to decide if they want to keep the locomotor or not, 1 of the upgrades to a tank could be that it gains the ability to hover, or become subterainean
New Armor and Veteran levels are a nice concept, but this is how I look at it. You create new armor for GI Joe and able him to reach a new level of veteran status. He goes out chasing down a patrol of 12 tanks and a company of 250 men. He has top armor and new veteran status and will destroy all tanks & the men like hes on crack and without a scratch. Why not give a sniper rifle with a range of 1000, damage 10000 and then for elite weapon the bullet had a nuclear warhead. I've seen mods where they had juiced up troops and it becomes lame real fast. If you plan on making new vet status then you need to change the abilities by lowering the perks on the existing ones so you don't have superman running around. Why create new armor, does it really make any sense, there are enough crazy, worthless, stupid, moronic units, tanks, planes, and super weapons out there. Create things within the realm of reality. Cool graphics are nice, but...........:::yawn::::: they are not worth it.
Quote:Why create new armor, does it really make any sense, there are enough crazy, worthless, stupid, moronic units, tanks, planes, and super weapons out there.
Don't like it - don't use it. This is the place for the technical implementation discussion, not for gameplay/balance.

(20.10.2008, 21:09:38)Nikademis Von Hisson Wrote: Why create new armor, does it really make any sense,

To fix the "unloading harvesters get magnetron'd" bug perhaps?
[Image: MRMIdAS2k.jpg]
MRMIdAS: No longer allowed to criticise Westwood on PPM
(21.10.2008, 04:53:37)MRMIdAS Wrote:
(20.10.2008, 21:09:38)Nikademis Von Hisson Wrote: Why create new armor, does it really make any sense,

To fix the "unloading harvesters get magnetron'd" bug perhaps?

something like that could be done by creating a new armour type for "unloadingharvester" but would really need a way to specify on the armour "default to medium" so you don't need to specify it on every single warhead, you'd only need to give it a verses of 0% on the mag beam. though this really belongs in the new armour topic

anyway, more on topic of veterancy
how about weapons? VeteranPrimary, VeteranSecondary, and, with your new weapon improvements, VeteranWeapon1, VeteranWeapon%d etc