Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public Letter to PaD/pd
Exclamation 
Dear pd

I'm currently participating in the LaunchBase Beta test. This nice tool will be - that's my opinion - the most important tool to the whole community because it is useful for both, normal players and modders. As you may already know, LaunchBase supports RockPatch. And as I already found out it ONLY supports RockPatch. That's not because Marhall may not like VK (in case he doesn't like him), that's because NPatch SE is -because of his architecture- completly incompatible to LaunchBase and NPatch 1.00 would be very difficult make it compatible, because VK's installer doesn't support LaunchBase.
So, modders have to rely on RockPatch, but 1.10 still has some bugs, even the pure-pd version 1.08 doesn't work completly as we would like it to do.
So I ask you to fix the remaining bugs in RockPatch for a RockPatch Final version,so we could all be satified with it. This is not a ask to continue RockPatch development! I also (personally) don't care which version you would use for it. Either 1.08 or VK's 1.10 - that's your decision.

I really want you to think about it for the whole community of RA2/YR fans and modders.

Thank you for your attention,

gordon-creAtive

Admins and Mods are allowed to fix grammar and spelling mistakes in this post. Thank you.
Edit: I really managed to mispell 'spelling-mistake'
[Image: osen2o7mpmm4jg1fs0.jpg]
I got good news for you, although I wanted to hold them back for a while still.

There were rumors, hints, and some people I even told that I have been working on a new RockPatch since this January.
Yes, that's a long time, however I progessed slowly, simply because I was not - and still am not, to clearify this - in a hurry with it, and went for a possible early 2008 release.

An official announcement about what I call "RockPatch 2" at this time is yet to follow, what I can tell is that I created it from scratch.

The RockPatch prior to 1.08SE (my versions) is not fixable.
From the beginning on I missed important parts of code, which later lead to errors I could not trace - because of lacking knowledge.
However, most (if not all) of the formerly "unsolvable" problems were now completely clear to me which allowed me to work on a bug free version of the patch rather than going VK's way of taking the errorneous code and even continue building stuff on top of it.

At the moment I'm working a new game mode which will require LAN testing and consume a bunch of time, after that - due to this letter - I will focus on recreating "old" RockPatch features (a few of them are done, however things like SuperWeapons are still untouched).
The recreating process, however, will include major changes that will most definitely require you to do a bunch of INI editing to keep things compatible (don't worry, it's not idiotic tag name changes, these changes do make sense).

More detail about everything will follow in the announcement, can't tell yet when I'm going to make that.

Just don't think the RockPatch is dead.
You may have to be patient, but if it all works out as currently planned it will definitely be worth it Wink

By the way, thanks for the "letter", the remaining interest in the RockPatch is a good motivation to work on it!

Regards,
-pd
[Image: jsfml.png]
Well, this is the best news I've heard all week. I look forward to seeing it.
Ares Project Manager.
[Image: t3wbanner.png]
[Image: cncgsigsb_sml.png]
Open Ares positions: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.
PM if interested.
Ha, This is where the link went then Hehe

RockPatch 2!? Well, i must say this is a eye opener, im happy your continuing it, Such a awesome patch for modders.

And im VERY intrigued by this LAN mode you talk about... Cant wait!

TSHyper
Wohou! I knew it, I knew it!!!!!
[Image: osen2o7mpmm4jg1fs0.jpg]