Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PKT stuff
Sorry, I know some of this info has been posted already but I wanted to be absolutely clear. I've been doing some testing of my own and have reached the following conclusions:

PKTs

You can only have one PKT that is loose in your RA2 folder.
Multiple PKTs will result in duplicate maps.
This is a bug with the game engine.

If you have a PKT file that lists a map that has already been listed (say, in missionsmd.pkt) then a second copy of the map will be created in memory (and rightly so).
To add mapfilters ('GameMode=...'Wink to an existing map, list only the mapfilters you wish to add.
You cannot use a PKT file to remove mapfilters for maps in other PKT files.

Maps are loaded in the order they appear in the PKT - and so this is the order they appear in the map list.

----------

YRO files are MIX files.
They can contain multiple map files.

Unlike MIX files however, YRO files can contain a PKT that will be read by the game.
Unlike loose PKT files, YRO-embedded PKT files do not cause the duplicate map bug.
YRO-embedded PKT files must have the same filename as the YRO (minus extension of course).
For example, <mymappac.yro> contains <mymappac.pkt>.

For this to work, the YRO (and the PKT) must have an 8.3 filename.
[Bobingabout, this maybe why it didn't work for you first time.]

----------

Assault Mode:

I renamed <ecacheassault##.mix> to <amp##.yro> and embedded the appropriate PKT.
In the PKT I also included fake map 'dividers' ("---Assault Map Pack #---").

It worked brilliantly, except...
Assault Map Pack 2 appeared before Assault Map Pack 1.

Therefore problems for Assault mode are:

1. YROs don't seem to be loaded in alphabetical order.
2. Graphics probably can't be embedded (needs testing).
3. Redefining mapfilters/excluding maps reintroduces the 'you have the maps but you don't really' bug.

Additionally, if you have two Assault Map Packs, it may be preferrable to have all the maps listed in player/name order (as they are using a loose PKT). However, with the YRO method, they will be grouped by map pack number.

----------

Thoughts anyone?

----------

Also, what maps in Assault map pack 2 use the extra graphics.
Just one example of a place where an extra graphic is used would be helpful to me.
Ever wondered what the hell is going on?
Believe me friend you're not the only one.
--Lysdexia

Check out Launch Base for RA2/YR - http://marshall.strategy-x.com
Also home to the Purple Alert mod, 1.002 UMP, and the YR Playlist Manager.
It uses modified tunnel tiles that override the existing ones so that the tunnels actually work without needing the TX.
Quote:If you have a PKT file that lists a map that has already been listed (say, in missionsmd.pkt) then a second copy of the map will be created in memory (and rightly so).
To add mapfilters ('GameMode=...'Wink to an existing map, list only the mapfilters you wish to add.
To be more precise, you also have to list the mapfilters that the map already holds (from missionsmd.pkt or other pkts). See my post in this very thread.

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
Um.... no.
Sorry DCoder, but I've just tested it. I created a single loose PKT containing just Alamo.

I stated GameMode=standard, meatgrind, airwar
(original is standard, meatgrind)

Lo and behold, Alamo appears twice in the map list.

Stating "GameMode=airwar" allows it to appear in standard, meatgrind and airwar.

Stating "GameMode=standard, meatgrind, airwar" allows it to appear in standard, meatgrind, standard, meatgrind and airwar.

You should only state the mapfilters you want to add, not the ones that are already present.
Ever wondered what the hell is going on?
Believe me friend you're not the only one.
--Lysdexia

Check out Launch Base for RA2/YR - http://marshall.strategy-x.com
Also home to the Purple Alert mod, 1.002 UMP, and the YR Playlist Manager.
Weird. I am sure I had the reverse happen to me, hence my post I linked you to. Oh well, I will retest later.

Just retested the repetitive mapfilter stuff. It seems you were correct, and my game was just acting up the last time I tested. (Now I'm using RP 1.07, awesome stuff, that might influence this.)