Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Floppies suck lolz
Bobingabout Wrote:there are 2 things about this that suck the most:
1. it didn't seem to want to install, i assume you may need to un-install rockpatch first, which is kinda crap, since all you need to do is encorperate the RP uninstall into it to make it work. hell, even rename the file back to original in your installer.

2. the single most reason for me not to use this, assuming you fix the install problems, is that i am not allowed to re-distribute it in my mod installer. it goes against the R:ROTC installer design of "Everything in 1 package", this was originally designed because at the time, the widest audience of our mod were people who had no home internet, and transfered it home on floppy disks, since i get this feedback i started releasing R:ROTC with a "Split Floppy" version, 1.38Mb files. what a pain the the backside it would be to download our mod, transfer it home, try to install it, and find you have something missing... ah crap, now i have to wait a week to find out why its not working... oh shit, its summer holidays, i won't be able to get on the net for another 2 months...

By using floppies you automatically revoke your privileges to talk. Everyone uses CDRs these days. Or hell, flash drives.
By IMing me and ranting about some STD you had should revoke your privileges, Primeykins. Who gives a shit if he uses floppies or not? Jesus.
i never said I use floppy disks, i said i release R:ROTC in floopy drive chunks... havn't used floppies myself for a few years now.(except for things like boot disks, and things at work. some of the most advanced copy protection is on floppy disks, you can't fake a "Don't know" state using a standard floppy drive) although i must admint, i've never writen to CDs for file transfers :S. ZIP disks, flash drives and external hard drives yes, but, not CDs, little too permanant.

the 1.38Mb chunks also helps people download on bad connections.
Bobingabout Wrote:i never said I use floppy disks, i said i release R:ROTC in floopy drive chunks... havn't used floppies myself for a few years now.(except for things like boot disks, and things at work. some of the most advanced copy protection is on floppy disks, you can't fake a "Don't know" state using a standard floppy drive) although i must admint, i've never writen to CDs for file transfers :S. ZIP disks, flash drives and external hard drives yes, but, not CDs, little too permanant.

Get a CDR/W, you can erase from them. Tongue
BrianPrime Wrote:
Bobingabout Wrote:i never said I use floppy disks, i said i release R:ROTC in floopy drive chunks... havn't used floppies myself for a few years now.(except for things like boot disks, and things at work. some of the most advanced copy protection is on floppy disks, you can't fake a "Don't know" state using a standard floppy drive) although i must admint, i've never writen to CDs for file transfers :S. ZIP disks, flash drives and external hard drives yes, but, not CDs, little too permanant.

Get a CDR/W, you can erase from them. Tongue
i do have a CD-RW disk, used it a few times, wasn't my thing. main problem is that i can burn it and take files with me, but when i use someone elses PC, i can't save my changes back to the disk, since they don't have a CD writer, also, this was impossable for college files since none of the computers have a CD drive, with the exception of a few staff computers.(which, now that i'm staff, have access to a DVD-ROM drive.)
i have 4 DVD-RW disks, however, my DVD+/RAM/-RW drive refuses to erase them, meaning i can only use them in my DVD-HDD recorder. (its a TV hard drive recorder with a built in DVD-RW driver for playing and recording DVDs.)

i now carry a 60Gb Freecom mobile classic drive around with me everywhere. i also have a 80Gb and 120Gb freecom classic mobile V2 drives. in my work bag i have all 260Gb with me ;P