Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disable the 'all units blow up' anti-copy feature.
Exclamation 
Although this will likely turn into a contentious issue, let me explain why I personally would like this particular 'feature' hacked out. I use linux quite a bit and if I want to play around with YR I'd like to not have to reboot into windows all the time. The game will run correctly using wine, but it suffers from all the units blowing up no matter how you install it under linux. The recommended way round it is to install a no-cd crack that stops all units blowing up 30 seconds into a mission and that is all well and good, but then I can't use and/or test the rock patch. Rather than calling it 'removing copy protection features', lets call it 'improving linux compatibility'
Just as it is "Digital Rights Management" and not "Remote Playback Control"....

Point being, no matter how you call it, it still is "removing copy protection features" - and the moment that happens, RP turns from an exe hack for community benefit into a crack to support piracy.
We already are at EA's mercy...I wouldn't want to stretch that fragile peace we have.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Quote:We already are at EA's mercy...I wouldn't want to stretch that fragile peace we have
What they can do? Big Grin

Quote:Although this will likely turn into a contentious issue, let me explain why I personally would like this particular 'feature' hacked out. I use linux quite a bit and if I want to play around with YR I'd like to not have to reboot into windows all the time. The game will run correctly using wine, but it suffers from all the units blowing up no matter how you install it under linux. The recommended way round it is to install a no-cd crack that stops all units blowing up 30 seconds into a mission and that is all well and good, but then I can't use and/or test the rock patch. Rather than calling it 'removing copy protection features', lets call it 'improving linux compatibility'
Try to find a good launcher Smile
gamemd.exe only check some dataSmile
I have planned a "YR Speed Up" program which will increase YR speed via some tricks, and will allow to run without CD.
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

it already runs without CD. well, mine does, i might have installed some no CD patch a while ago i forgot about that replaces files other than gamemd.exe, but with the 1.08 TFD compatibility, i no longer need the disk to play the original CD version
For some reason my YR is able to run while I only have one of my TS CDs or my FS CD in the drive.
Ares Project Manager.
[Image: t3wbanner.png]
[Image: cncgsigsb_sml.png]
Open Ares positions: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.
PM if interested.
CnCVK Wrote:
Quote:We already are at EA's mercy...I wouldn't want to stretch that fragile peace we have
What they can do? Big Grin
Declare this project illegal and send lawyers after its coder and its host?
I wouldn't want to have to pay EA's lawyers after they pulled out their Cease and Desist orders...
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
I run YR off an .iso (legal copy, just CD's scratch), does this not work under linux?
Quote:it already runs without CD. well, mine does, i might have installed some no CD patch a while ago i forgot about that replaces files other than gamemd.exe, but with the 1.08 >The Fucking DVD< compatibility, i no longer need the disk to play the original CD version
I not use CD too Smile
I had copied files to YR dir and use fake launcher Smile
and game load 5 seconds instead of 1 minute CD reading.
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

I don't know the main cause of the blow up 'feature', so I don't really know why its a problem on linux and what it is that wine isn't reproducing correctly.
it happens when the windows unique code that is captured during installation is different than the 1 in the registry Tongue both of which are faked by linux (or simply don't exist)