Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unlagged graphics with ddraw driver for RA2/YR
Kay... I ran a better test. I played with and without ddraw.dll on my W98SE machine and saw absolutely no difference whatsoever between the two visually, nor did I notice any substantial changes with the DLL 'applied.' In other words, it did nothing for W98SE.

I ran RA2 and YR both on my WXPHome machine and noticed a major difference in play speed with the DLL 'applied.' The game played no slower than usual and did not lag at the usual times.

It seems XP can actually use this to some degree while 98 just doesn't see any benefits, not that animation lag was all that bad in the first place. It's up to the user, I suppose. This may not be enough for stubborn gits like Renegade but whatever. Tongue
I'm what Willis was talkin' about.
I just made an application to switch between HW accelerated on / off with a simple click.
The application automatically detects your RA2 folder and copies/deletes the ddraw file from there.

Download the RA2/YR HW Acceleration Switcher at http://tsactuo.googlepages.com/

Note since this was made with C# this program requires .NET framework 2.0 or later.
Red Alert 2 Uluchshenny Mod for Yuri's Revenge
Download at tsactuo.googlepages.com
Quote:.NET framework 2.0 or later.
As always Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

maybe you should re-write it in plain C, so its compatible with older versions of windows, like the game is.
I concur with the above. I cannot run the Framework on my machine. Too old and outdated. Not to mention, people who are not total dunces can turn off HW acceleration on their own.
I'm what Willis was talkin' about.
I just want to comment, the dll works find but, i can say its better without it, im experiencing some lag everytime i build a building. I dont know if some of you guys experience the same problem.

Administrative Notice:

Locked. This thread as been dead for way over a month.
Update: Re-Opened, important information from wthigon below.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
A magical .DLL file is not needed to stop the lag from the nukes and other weapons. Simply do this:

Open up RA2MD.ini in your RA2 folder.

Look for the [Video] section and add this: VideoBackBuffer=no

Try it before and after adding that line so that you can see for yourself.
[Image: untitled10bu1.jpg]
Wthigon if this works it will be great. Gonna test now.

update: It actually works just fine! Good Job and Good find Wthigon... No need for the .dll or disabling directx acceleration, just this change and it is perfect.

I updated the main thread post with wthigon's way so everyone coming in the thread can see the right way of doing what the thread intented.

Again GJ Wthigon, how did you found it?
Red Alert 2 Uluchshenny Mod for Yuri's Revenge
Download at tsactuo.googlepages.com