Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About the downtime
Just to not leave you in the dark about the reasons for our downtime:
Saturday night, the control panels necessary to control our VPS and the virtual hosts on it had been unreachable for several hours. After having restarted the process several times, and waiting for quite some time, I decided to directly reboot the entire VPS through SSH. The Server went down as planned.

It never came back up.

I waited for twenty minutes, to be sure it wasn't just slow. Then I was on the phone with Host Europe, our host. Want a rendition of that talk?

Ren: My VPS doesn't talk to me anymore Unhappy Could you, like, nudge it a little?
Support-Guy: Nope, sorry, can't reboot a single VPS. Only the whole server.²
Ren: Really? No chance?
Support-Guy: No. It responds to ping, though.
Ren: Well, yeah, but nothing else works.
Support-Guy: Hmm, yeah. Seems to have a problem. You should file a request for support, and somebody will look at it on Monday.
Ren: Wtf (disbelieving)
Ren: Okay then, well...thank you. Blah

I filed said request immediately, and obviously somebody did look at it...on Monday. But that's not even the worst thing. Worse is, now, after 24h+ downtime, they tell me, in their "Your VPS is back online" mail, that the control panel problem was due to a problem with the host system, and a reboot would've fixed nothing. Dead

Thanks a lot, Host Europe. Great support. Rolling eyes

Anyway, since no data was affected, there should be no problems anywhere. If there is, talk me up, I'll have a look at it - and I promise to be fast than HE. Tongue

Sorry if this little episode caused inconveniences for anybody.

² Honestly, I think that's bullshit. But what could I do?
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.