Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New RP version system
I want to add a revision number Smile
So RP 1.08 SE Revision 0021,
means: Rock Patch 1.08 Second Edition, revision number is 0022

Revisions only will fix bugs, and will NOT add anything new.
I am a human (I hope Smile and I can make a errors Unhappy
(for example: I inputted 0x45 instead of 0x54,
and I and beta-tester don't find this error Unhappy,
but somebody found it later)
In this case I want to create new revision of RP where this error will be fixed.
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

Why not do 1.08.1, 1.08.2, 1.08.3 etc instead? Keeps the format, is logical, saves space...
Or with a slash...1.08/1, 1.08/2, 1.08/3...

On the topic of versions: Don't forget to enter new versions into the bug tracker, so people can select them when reporting a bug, and so you can select "Fixed in...".
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Quote:Or with a slash...1.08/1, 1.08/2, 1.08/3...
Better RP 1.08 SE #0022
However I will not inform about new revision,
only about main versions Smile
Revision number is my internal number; before to add anything I create backup copy of gamemd.exe Smile
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

you know. your internal revisions should be made available, mainly for testing, to modders. this not only gives you a constant beta test, but also allows modders to utilise new features stright away.
if i had beta tested 1.08 before it was released, then i think it was 2 of the bugs could have been reported and fixed before release, instead of being reported the day it was released. this way "Stable" releases such as 1.08 can truely be as stable as possible.

i recomend some kind of password to download the beta's, so only modders who know what they are doing can download the mod, and not just any newb, noob, or player.
CnCVK Wrote:
Quote:Or with a slash...1.08/1, 1.08/2, 1.08/3...
Better RP 1.08 SE #0022
Or a little change: "RP 1.08 SE build 0022" (looks a bit more "professional" instead the '#' Big Grin )

And agreed with the Bobingabout's comment about beta testing before a stable release.
[Image: cncr_beta_download_2.png]
5 different armies: GDI, Nod, Allies, Soviets & Yuri... & converted TS Terrain!!
I agree to BobingAbout, for another reason, too:
It's a bad idea to throw out "a new version" everyday, that's exactly what I wanted to avoid with the version system.
Sure, on the other hand, people wouldn't have to wait too long for serious bugs being fixed. I must admit that I've been a slow ass concerning that...

Still, a "daily" (or similar quick) update would not be a great idea unless you create an auto-update service (I'd declare that the "ideal solution").

Maybe you could bring out stable versions after determined periods of time (like a month, 2 weeks), that way people won't be flooded with stuff and besides there'd be regular update intervals people can easily remember.
The condition is, though, that you - unlike me - work constantly on the patch (which you're apparently doing).

In the meantime, i.e. between the updates, you do what Bobing says and e.g. run a locked beta testing forum where - like Bobing says - modding professionals test the patch.
[Image: jsfml.png]
It's not new versions, it's only revisions Smile
Quote:so only modders who know what they are doing can download the mod,
But it will NOT have any new features, so nothing to test Smile
So if i write 0x45 instead 0x54, I create new revision,
and people not need to wait a next version
Example: PDominator code in RP 1.08
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

I see. So the new revision would just replace the old download.
[Image: alexstand1.gif]
theres a bugfix that needs testing.
Launch Base implications for RockPatch:

If you don't know about Launch Base, see this thread

"Version" is shown to the users. It can be any string.
"Build" is the internal version number used by the author (pd/CnCVK). It can be any integer.

This may not be orthodox to some, but Version and Build are the same thing, just from different perspectives.
Build number is used internally for prerequisite and update checks.

Launch Base will have a Check For Updates facility that will allow the Rock Patch to be updated with just a few clicks.

I am hoping that with the advent of Launch Base, the stand-alone installer for the Rock Patch will be abolished. Until then, the existing method will suffice.
Ever wondered what the hell is going on?
Believe me friend you're not the only one.
--Lysdexia

Check out Launch Base for RA2/YR - http://marshall.strategy-x.com
Also home to the Purple Alert mod, 1.002 UMP, and the YR Playlist Manager.
what if the mod wants an older version? such as when 1.08 was released and superweapons were brocken, or mods were still using the old newdeath system. can it downgrade too?
There are no plans for Launch Base to allow multiple versions or downgrades.

I believe people are generally of the opinion that software should be continually updated to support the latest version of the platform that they are to be run on. The RockPatch is a work in progress and so therefore so are any mods designed to run on it. YR itself is not a work in progress so mods designed solely for YR must be designed for the latest version (1.001). Launch Base will not support YR 1.000 or Red Alert 2.

The Update facility will allow mods to be updated to the latest version quickly.
In the case of a major bug with the Rock Patch, the Update facility will allow the RockPatch to be updated to the latest version quickly.

All prerequisite options (TX/RP) will only support the following options: 'Not Required' or 'Specified Minimum Version Required' (or 'Not Allowed' in the case of the TX)
It will, however, be possible to manually downgrade by downloading the actual installation program and overwriting the more-up-to-date version (because Launch Base does not store info about mods, it gets the info at runtime from the self-contained mod folders).
--Lysdexia

Quote:(or 'Not Allowed' in the case of the TX)
for Rock Patch I think this option are need too.
Quote:There are no plans for Launch Base to allow multiple versions or downgrades.
it's bad Unhappy
Quote:theres a bugfix that needs testing.
probably Wink
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

see my post on the launcher, spacificly the bit about mix files.
Multiple versions of mods will be no problem, but TX/RP will not.
Although, if people really think it is neccessary, I can probably allow multiple instances of the Rock Patch. I can't do this for the Terrain Expansion though because of FA2 integration.
The Update facility will not be able to make a second instance of a mod/plugin though - in order to get multiple instances you will have to install them separately in the first place.

As for the 'Not Allowed' option, that was really only designed with MooMan in mind for his YR Squared mod, in which he has his own version of the Terrain Expansion, although now that I have this new FA2 Mod integration method, the Not Allowed option really isn't needed for that anymore.
The RockPatch should work with non-RP enabled mods, right? So a Not Allowed option isn't neccessary. If people have trouble running a non-RP enabled mod then they can choose to disable the plugin, but I don't think a Not Allowed option is really needed.

Thoughts?
--Lysdexia