Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whiteboy's Rules
I can help test.
DCoder Wrote:
Quote:pics develop interest *hint*
If that was aimed at me, software pics don't change that much during development.
No it was aimed at WB. You know, show a unit or a building or something.

C-GEN: The site with the 'log the f*ck in' forum. And now we make you validate your f*cking e-mail address too.
CannisRules: It's a YR mod.
WB, how far into 1.5 are you? I have some free time this weekend and i could get some testing time in.
OK, the Beta testing team now consists of 5 people: mrruben5, zero2, (XT*Chris*TX), YuriRuler90 and McSpivey. The more the merrier, and the more varied the modding/playing background, the merrier also ^_^

@Cannis: I'll be sure to let you know when I'm ready Wink

@ YuriRuler90: I won't send the beta mod to anyone at the moment - I want to assemble at least 8 testers first. I'm very far into V1.5. Like I have said before, the mod itself is "done". Everything is in place; what it needs now is fine-tuning. That is why I am starting the testing now. The testing could result in radical changes to small changes. There are a couple of major features that I haven't even started though: one is the end-user manual (I will do that entire thing by myself and it will take me AGES), another is possible TX support (I haven't decided if I really need it), and the other is the biggie: AI.

Yep, Whiteboy's Rules V1.5 has no aimd.ini file in it right now. I have done rules editing and included the aimd.tlb file and AI Generals etc. - basically everything you can do to make the AI harder without actually editing aimd.ini. I have been wating for a pogram by DCoder for some time - an AI Scripting program that write the whole AI file for you. But that program looks like it will never come before next year (plus it won't really produce very effective results), so now I have 2 options.

Those options are 1) read up on how to do AI (again) and write aimd.ini by myself which I do not have time to do to be frank, and 2) get someone else to do the aimd.ini file. That person will basically be "the other guy" who made Whiteboy's Rules V1.5. This is a one-man modding team unless someone comes in and does an AI file for me. Then it's a 2-man mod team and as such, they will receive a great amount of credit (yep, even more than the beta testers and the scores of people who helped me in the past with general modding issues).

You listening DCoder? :biggrin:

About shots of new units, structures etc. - most new things in this mod come from downloaded SHPs and Voxels (GOOD ones. I believe I have a good level of quality control Tongue. I am not a graphics guy, so I have done very little new graphics myself, and most of the ones that I have done are based on downloaded ones. But I will post something soon... it'll be the first animated SHP I ever done so don't slag it off please...

Hmm, I think I'll make a new topic about recruiting an AI editor!

Quote:I have been wating for a pogram by DCoder for some time - an AI Scripting program that write the whole AI file for you. But that program looks like it will never come before next year (plus it won't really produce very effective results)...
Not to sound "evil", but as I said I am seriously occupied by Uni/work, so there's no way it can be done soon. Besides, my main free-time project now is INI E V2, not this toy (which, very correctly noted, would not produce results as good as doing it yourself...). I can repeat my advice on how to work on the AI (which involves Excel, macros and AI E V2), but I think you are tired of that by now Smile
Hm, that reminds me... my site could benefit from some new AI tutorials... editpad time! Tongue

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
Hmm, yes I do understand your situation DCoder. I think I'll see how my AI recruitment topic goes, otherwise I will probably hold off AI until a version after 1.5 (I need to release 1.5 soon, it's been a ridiculously long time in development). I really don't want to have to get into Macros and such - I can hardly use Excel as it is. And then there's using AI Editor, which I tried before and didn't get anywhere fast. Of course this is all because I have no intention or motivation to do AI at the moment. Like I said though, this may change in the future.

In short, I am desperate for an AI Editor! See this topic.

AI is something that is best developed over time as your mod develops. At least that's what I think. Probably the best approach you can take is to make some rules changes so as to lay the groundwork for better AI to operate, followed by some simple editing of existing taskforces to make the default game's attacks bigger, followed by some small additions of your own added here and there.

Personally I think using the AI generals gives mixed results. Even in TS it was incomplete, because it assumed an GDI vs Nod setup, with no GDI/GDI or Nod/Nod matchups supported. In RA2 this sort of still worked like it did in TS, where Allies vs Soviets take the place of GDI/Nod. But in YR you have a 3rd side. Also there's new stuff for how the AI builds base defenses, which I strongly believe the AI generals largely short-circuits.

C-GEN: The site with the 'log the f*ck in' forum. And now we make you validate your f*cking e-mail address too.
CannisRules: It's a YR mod.
Okay, where can I get the mod beta?
It isn't out yet. He has said this before.
Great start Chris. LOL
Heheh, don't worry Chris. You have the enthusiasm Big Grin

Whiteboy's Rules V1.5 uses the AI Generals. I can hardly notice a difference myself, but the AI is definately harder overall than the AI in V1.0.

* Waits patiently for a reply to this topic *

Update time! mrruben5, zero2, (XT*Chris*TX), YuriRuler90, McSpivey and ctcdmb are now members of the Beta testing team. I am still looking for at least one more person to join before I start distributing the Beta version of the mod. I am also looking for someone (this can be one of the people above) to act as the lead Beta tester.

Well? Anyone? I can offer you free food! Women! And guns for everyone! Well, OK I lie, but you will get Beta testing status on the C-GEN forums (which is kind of stupid really for me because I am still stuck with "member" status).

I apply.
well, i'll apply, but it might take me a few days to get YR (i got bronchidis, don't know how to spell. Got the $ though, just waiting to get out of the house ^_^ )

as for modding background, well, i was working on my own mod, fused all of the allied sides into one, soviet sides into one, and was adding two new sides. then my hardrive completely died (7 years old, 4 gigs, lol) and took the mod with it.

well anyway, i'd be glad to beta test, and maybe do some ini editing. I can also try to figure out how to edit the AI, never got up to it though...

[Image: sigentith.gif]
Avi and sig by MrRuben

If you want a bit of PHP coding done, or a really basic consol based C++ or Java program, PM me, i'll give it a try
Whiteboy Wrote:I am still looking for at least one more person to join before I start distributing the Beta version of the mod.
Well, whiteboy?? :biggrin:

As for the beta test leader, no, damnit i can't. I have too little time on my hands with all these people wanting a website layout. Else i'd be the first to offer.