Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New skirmish modes
Here are the current skirmish modes to be included in WR version 1.5. Assault modes are there, and so are 2 others, one was DCoder's "no lights" idea and the other, where the AI builds 2 of everything (and has general "upgrades"), was the brainchild of Nucl34r14. Thanks guys!

As you can see the modes are divided into two: you have the standard WR modes, and you have their Cross-technology versions. Whiteboy's Rules V1.0 employed the Cross-tech system. The way it works is quite simple (and cheap really): after teching up pretty far, you could build the unique units of other countries of the faction that you are playing as (or with Yuri you got access to different things completely). You also have the ability to build another faction's MCV after teching up right to the top (Armageddon Engine). Then you build that faction's base, right to the top, and behold, another side's MCV. Eventually you can have all factions under your command, and when teched up fully, you get access to the secret units/buildings, which are quite powerful. Think of Cross-tech as "Unholy Alliance" mode, only you can't build all things from the start - you have to earn it.

The non-Cross-tech modes are just that -the Cross-tech aspect has been removed. Some buildings are cheaper in this mode (a more realistic price considering you cannot use other countries' things) and you cannot easily aquire the secret units by just capturing a few tech buildings (like you can in Cross-tech).

In short, Normal (non Cross-tech) modes are the way to go, unless you are feeling spammy/cheap/n00bish/dirty/nostalgic from version 1.0 - or a frighteningly evil combination of all five :oo:

OK, enough ranting, here's the pic. You can't quite see the bottom two modes, but it's trivial - they are "CT: Rebel AI" and "CT: Assault (Rebel AI)".

[Image: Modes.jpg]

Now, these modes, with the exception of the Assault ones, do not change the gameplay like modes such as "Crate War" or "Naval War" would. The modes completed so far (Lights Out and Rebel AI) are really "mods of the mod". In fact, I originally had no desire to add new modes outside of the Assault modes.

I am very happy with the current selection, but I am very open to suggestions as to what new modes this mod could include. It can be a totally new mode or one that has been seen before - anything that would best enhance/suit the mod. Any suggestions? I may only accept 1 or 2 ideas, as I don't want this modes list to be very large Tongue

Thanks to Cannis and DCoder for some help with the mode "seperators" - without their help it would have taken me days to figure them out LOL

Oh, and thanks of course to Cannis, who originally came up with these seperators in his mod. I myself was looking for a way to do this a long, long time ago but I gave up. Then Cannis comes along with the perfect solution and what can I say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... Tongue 2h34r:

What about Tech War? I don;t see it on there.
The mode separator is a variation on Mooman's map list separator idea. I can hardly take full credit for it.
Make damned sure there really is a map for the dummy --NORMAL-- mode. Every mode, even dummy modes, must have at least one map to satisfy it.

C-GEN: The site with the 'log the f*ck in' forum. And now we make you validate your f*cking e-mail address too.
CannisRules: It's a YR mod.
Very well then, thanks to Mooman65 Big Grin

(oh, and naturally, there is a dummy map - if there wasn't there would be an IE right? Or would it revert to the default (Battle mode) set of maps? I've not tried to have no map for the dummy mode...)

YR90, read the whole post again. Yes I know that takes a long time with the length of my posts, but reading is good for you!

If you're last game played unmodded was Battle
That would be the first mode
RA2MD.INI would 'remember' that
Now you start the game with your mod
Go to skirmish
Based on RA2MD.INI, it tries to set the current mode as -- NORMAL --
OMG THERE'S NO MAP FOR THIS MODE GAME FREAKS OUT

C-GEN: The site with the 'log the f*ck in' forum. And now we make you validate your f*cking e-mail address too.
CannisRules: It's a YR mod.
Haha, thanks for that Cannis.

In fact, something that happened to me recently may have something to do with this. I was trying out CNC Nuked and also a map being developed by Truefeel, and although I cannot say if this thing happened as a result of playing that map or that mod, I remember it was around that time that this thing happened.

The "thing" is the Whiteboy bug, which happened throughout the game under different testing conditions when I tried to play my mod after trying the map/mod mentioned above. Thing is, this bug usually only occurs when there are more than 74 buildable things in the units sidebar. This time, the bug just happened right at the start of a game to the very end. This bug causes an IE, as tested on DCoder and Renegade's computers - but for me it caused the text that appears when the cursor is hovered over something in-game to disappear (but it was still appearing just fine on the sidebar). I now beleive that the reason this happened to me instead of an IE is because I have a 64-bit processor (DCoder doesn't). But I'm unsure if processor type matters.

BUT, at that time, I did have a dummy map for the two seperators. I fixed the bug (got the text to appear again) by moving the RA2MD.ini file somewhere else and playing the game unmodded - thus generating a new RA2MD.ini - and then swapping back the old RA2MD.ini. Then for some reason the bug was gone - in both the unmodded game and the WR game.

This would make perfect sense if I had no dummy maps, but I did. I suppose it's something to do with playing C&C Nuked and then WR in succession. I don't even know if it's avoidable - but at least I know how to fix it (move the RA2MD.ini and then move it back after playing the unmodded game).

I hope this makes sense somehow Tongue

Whiteboy Wrote:In fact, something that happened to me recently may have something to do with this. I was trying out CNC Nuked and also a map being developed by Truefeel, and although I cannot say if this thing happened as a result of playing that map or that mod, I remember it was around that time that this thing happened.

This would make perfect sense if I had no dummy maps, but I did. I suppose it's something to do with playing C&C Nuked and then WR in succession. I don't even know if it's avoidable - but at least I know how to fix it (move the RA2MD.ini and then move it back after playing the unmodded game).

I hope this makes sense somehow Tongue
Don't call me a neco-poster for this, but it is usefull info (especelly for NOOBs).

I used to have this prob but now I use the Marshel Clean up program (you can download it from my Signiture) after using any mod, even ones that are ment to uninstall them selves after exiting.

Because if you get an internal error or the game has to be shut down other than the normal exit (I get too much LAG to exit a game after playing online on any RA2/YR game/mod).

So after playing any mod of any type (unless it is the only mod you ever play) always run the Clean Up Program!!! This may seem simple or a noobish idea but after a while you will be thanking me.

[Image: HOPALONGTOM.png]
Erm... I don't think this was needed...

[Image: wrathsig9dz.png]
If more people read this thread, then it would be worth it. Nevertheless, at least this thread exists, so if someone does need help, hopefully they will somehow find their way here...

You'd be surprised...

And Wrath, no.