Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YR slowdown
File size has nothing to do with processing speed. Any slowdowns that exist are probably due to inefficient programming, such as the game getting stuck in an infinite loop, bogging down processing.
[Image: alexstand1.gif]
my computer can easily shift 100Mb-150Mbps from the hard drive, and 400Mbps internally(from CPU to RAM). i think its something like 200Mbps to the graphics. file sizes of RA2:YR is a cakewalk.
File sizes not says anything...
If you have normal amount of RAM all good.
The main slowdown things:
- Transparent animation
- Many small animation
- Sidebar cameos darken (first and second tab only)(!)
Problems because YR not use your video card acceleration at allUnhappy
Only CPU speed, not more.
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

I thought someone had figured out that it was due to debris not being deleted when it disappears?

Cannis had limited the amount of debris types bein used, although I didn't find that helped.

I recently wrote a program to run through my rulesmd.ini and set all debris amounts to zero. There was a significant improvement to the later speed of the game. Although, this could simply be due to the lack of debris, rather than stopping a memory leak.

Can pd and/or CnCVK clarify this?
Ever wondered what the hell is going on?
Believe me friend you're not the only one.
--Lysdexia

Check out Launch Base for RA2/YR - http://marshall.strategy-x.com
Also home to the Purple Alert mod, 1.002 UMP, and the YR Playlist Manager.
Quote:I recently wrote a program to run through my rulesmd.ini and set all debris amounts to zero.
Just curious, since when does Ctrl-F / "MaxDebris=" / "MaxDebris=0;" require a separate program? Tongue 2

Specially for VK, here's the link Marshall speaks of.

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
Any improvement to the speed of RA2/YR would be a MOST welcome addition to the Rock Patch for sure. I have a pretty beefy system and I still get a lot of slowdown.
[Image: Sig.jpg]
[Image: awesomeballs.gif]
Another lag source: exagerate number of units. When the AI ( actualy, the AIs:4 brutes with MANY units ) has 600 or so units guarding or preparing to attack, and the game allmost freezed - 8-10 real seconds for an in-game "second" ( you can see this on SWs countdouwn ).
Note: all particles, animations etc have "Translucent=no", also all debris removed in Rulesmd...
This is an extreme situation, yet a more realistic situation would be to increase the teams & the units in each team so you get 2-300 units for 7 brutes... enough to get an 2-3 secs / in-game second lag. Add the translucency, railguns, cloaked stuffs & another various sources of lag...

Another slowdown: animated HVAs ( like rotors for choppers ) - when there are more units ( over 30 ) in a single place, when you center on them the game will slow. If you move the screen to another part of the map the game will get to normal speed.
CDA is a real slowdown. Liqued nitrogen uses railguns, Stealth uses translucency, and flames use particles...
Also, I think the AI having too many units which are stuck causes lag, because it then their script keeps telling them to move somewhere, but they can't, so it repeats infinitely or until it is able to move.
Ares Project Manager.
[Image: t3wbanner.png]
[Image: cncgsigsb_sml.png]
Open Ares positions: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.
PM if interested.
Bobingabout Wrote:CDA is a real slowdown. Liqued nitrogen uses railguns, Stealth uses translucency, and flames use particles...
Pray tell, is there a single post of yours that doesn't reference your mod in some way? Bang head against wall

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
probably not

and this is actually a bad point about my mod
Going back to the subject of debris for a minute.. Which kind of debris are we talking about here? Voxel Debris or Anim Debris?
@DCoder
The program I wrote works on all appropriate debris flags and stores the 'extracted' values in a separate file, so that they can be restored later if desired.

@Vinifera7
Not sure, I don't think anyone ever specified so I assume it is all debris. Could do with one of our resident patch people shedding some light on this...
Ever wondered what the hell is going on?
Believe me friend you're not the only one.
--Lysdexia

Check out Launch Base for RA2/YR - http://marshall.strategy-x.com
Also home to the Purple Alert mod, 1.002 UMP, and the YR Playlist Manager.
I heard from tmapm that gamemate said that it was Anim Debris specifically that seemed to slow down the game. I created a mission map to test this and find out for sure if debris really slow down the game or not. I tried to be as simplistic as possible in my test. There is only a tesla coil in the middle of the map. I changed the image to look like one of those hedgehog barricades (no active animation = more simplistic). I even removed the electric bolt animation from the tesla weapon. Then i created a single trigger that constantly sends taxis (a very simplistic voxel unit) from the edge of the map to where the tesla coil is so that they are shot and destroyed. I made the taxis spawn lots of debris when they are destroyed. I have tested this out by letting it run constantly for about 3.5 hours and I noticed no slowdown whatsoever. I'm sure that there would be SOME kind of effect if the debris weren't being deleted.

Feel free to try it yourself.

Attached Files
.rar   Less than 1 minute ago">debris test.rar (Size: 112.66 KB / Downloads: 504)
I found another source of slow down, The Genetic Mutator.

If you use it on infantry that are near tanks. When you use the GM against them, the tanks move and get in the way of the mutation animation. The result is that Brutes get stuck on the tank, they dont move and you can't select them. If they stay like that for a while, the game start to slow to a crawl and eventually it'll freeze up the game.
[Image: untitled10bu1.jpg]