Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Call For Help
So I know I haven't been on here in a while and probably everyone who can code is working on Ares but...

If anyone knows Ruby, another forum I'm on has been making a pokemon fan-game. The demo's ready, basically, asides from one major thing: None of the programmers have stuck around for long. It's not that the forum's unhostile it just seems that they lose interest. But yes, back on track. If someone knows Ruby then help would be very much appriciated. The demo is so close to being done, it's all there (at least, almost), it just needs someone with the know-how to put it together.

Umm, thanks for reading?

Oh and a link. ImmunityBow's the project leader and probably the most helpful person to contact for further information.
Clear information and actual linkage would probably help anyone potentially interested...
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Yeah sorry, I wasn't sure if links were allowed :S

I think the best description'd be for me just to link you to the page.
http://www.pokemontopaz.net/forums/showt...-18th-2012
ImmunityBow's the project leader and probably the person to talk to if you need more details as I'm unfamilliar with the actual behind-the-scenes mechanics myself.
I may be blind, but I'm having a hard time finding a source code link anywhere...or a bugtracker, for that matter. No clear description of what's missing for the demo, no half-checked-off roadmap, nothing. Basically, as a programmer, I find no way to assess what state the program is actually in.

The fact that that project apparently has been running for 8 years without a single release isn't instilling confidence, either. Being late on a release is one thing (*cough*), but eight years for even the initial version? I get wanting to do shit properly, but that seems excessive. And as if that weren't crazy enough, they aren't even aiming for a full release after eight years - they're aiming for a demo. I'm kinda scared to see their code base, tbh. Eight years of work for a demo either means one kick-ass demo, or an over-engineered behemoth of bloat.

I have enough I'm procrastinating on that I wouldn't commit to anything anyway, but I would have been willing to check a few bug reports and the source to see if I can write a few quick fixes. Alas, I just plain can't do that. To put it bluntly, this looks like a project by Pokemon enthusiasts for Pokemon enthusiasts, with programming a necessary evil, a roadblock on the way from fun concepting to fun playing. And it shows: The project is geared towards creating the Pokeworld and its inhabitants, with code creation as an afterthought.

Attracting coders for game fan projects is hard. We know that from experience. But attracting them without even as much as a glimpse of what they're getting into? Nigh impossible. You'll get coders who're also Pokemon enthusiasts, because they have a personal interest in advancing the project, but random coders off the Internet? Unlikely.

My advice to that project would be opening the source, putting it in web-readable source control, adding a way to read known issues and submit patches, drafting up a roadmap to the demo, and making all of that easily accessible.
Once programmers can actually see where the code stands, what kind of problems remain and what they'd be dealing with, you have a much higher chance of at least getting random contributions, if not dedicated coders.

tl;dr: If programmers are essential, start gearing the project towards programmers.

Alternative approach: Start learning Ruby as a community. May sound silly, but if all remaining contributors of other fields commit to learning Ruby together, it'll be much less daunting (and more fun) than doing it alone, and you'll get all the programmers you need.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
That's a pretty cool response, Renegade Smile