Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are we up to?
Haha, found the Abductor logic. It's Chrono Prisons. But that's sorta my point, if I was new to modding in general, and had no idea what a Chrono Prison was, how would I know that it is the Abductor logic?

I would happily join a team on sorting out the manual, but it would have to be that - a team. I don't have the time to rewrite the entire manual in a few days, but I'm able to do bits here and there.

Edit: I guess, if there was a complete list of what's been fixed, what's been added, and the relevant code (or directions on where to find it all), I could start the simple stuff straight away, it would only be the more complex features that I'd have to play with first to understand how it works. Or at the very least, to everything that's not in the existing manual.
(23.02.2012, 04:08:56)Scott Wrote: I could be just being dumb, but is it basically as simple as "I have a mod using Ares 0.1, shall I just run it with Fat Man and see if it still works?"

'cause if it is, I fail to see why there's not more people doing it. Hell, I'll do just that tomorrow.
Yeah, that'd actually be helpful.
I'm not sure if 0.2 is entirely flag-compatible with 0.1, it's possible you'll have to tweak a flag here or there, but overall, you should be able to have the exact same functionality with 0.2 as with 0.1 P1.

If you don't, something's broken and we need to know.

(23.02.2012, 04:08:56)Scott Wrote: Personally, maybe that what this needs, particularly for me, is links to the relevant code without having to hunt through the bugtracker or the manual, especially seems last time I checked, the code for abductor logic wasn't in the manual.
When I wrote this, I still had this mental model of a tester carrying out those tests. Such a tester would've followed 0.2 development and/or would be familiar with the dev builds, and thus not need direct linkage.

But year, for a complete newcomer, maybe some linkage could help.

(23.02.2012, 15:31:53)Graion Dilach Wrote: That's kinda possible, manual is pre-FatMan. Hopefully I can get there nowadays to update it more.
I thought it was properly unified? That's what I heard last...

(23.02.2012, 15:39:33)Scott Wrote: Haha, found the Abductor logic. It's Chrono Prisons. But that's sorta my point, if I was new to modding in general, and had no idea what a Chrono Prison was, how would I know that it is the Abductor logic?
If you were new to modding, you'd have no idea what the Abductor logic was, either, so there could be no confusion. Wink
Abductor is under Chrono Prisons because it was implemented for Chrono Prisons, I just designed it more liberal than that.

(23.02.2012, 15:39:33)Scott Wrote: I would happily join a team on sorting out the manual, but it would have to be that - a team. I don't have the time to rewrite the entire manual in a few days, but I'm able to do bits here and there.
It doesn't need rewrites at all. The text that exists just needs to have its markup fixed after the conversion. Half the manual should already be done.

(23.02.2012, 15:39:33)Scott Wrote: Edit: I guess, if there was a complete list of what's been fixed, what's been added, and the relevant code (or directions on where to find it all), I could start the simple stuff straight away, it would only be the more complex features that I'd have to play with first to understand how it works. Or at the very least, to everything that's not in the existing manual.
It's a bit difficult because of the software change...you can look at everything on this list after June 27, 2010. Or you can look at this one, but it's bound to be incomplete, because many changes aren't properly milestone-tagged.

Again, though, the primary objective right now is fixing the formatting. If you wanna help with that, do say so, and I'll do my best to actually write the guide for that soon.

Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Ren, the manual has no hijackers and the rest of the branches weren't documented.
(23.02.2012, 23:25:41)Renegade Wrote: Yeah, that'd actually be helpful.
I'm not sure if 0.2 is entirely flag-compatible with 0.1, it's possible you'll have to tweak a flag here or there, but overall, you should be able to have the exact same functionality with 0.2 as with 0.1 P1.

If you don't, something's broken and we need to know.
Alright man, I'll try this out tomorrow.

(23.02.2012, 23:25:41)Renegade Wrote: If you were new to modding, you'd have no idea what the Abductor logic was, either, so there could be no confusion. Wink
Abductor is under Chrono Prisons because it was implemented for Chrono Prisons, I just designed it more liberal than that.
Haha, alright, yeah, makes sense then. Scott being silly, I guess. Big Grin 2

(23.02.2012, 23:25:41)Renegade Wrote: It's a bit difficult because of the software change...you can look at everything on this list after June 27, 2010. Or you can look at this one, but it's bound to be incomplete, because many changes aren't properly milestone-tagged.
Well, I can have a look and see what's missing, I guess.

(23.02.2012, 23:25:41)Renegade Wrote: Again, though, the primary objective right now is fixing the formatting. If you wanna help with that, do say so, and I'll do my best to actually write the guide for that soon.
Yeah man, I'll happily help with that.
(23.02.2012, 23:40:22)Graion Dilach Wrote: Ren, the manual has no hijackers and the rest of the branches weren't documented.
Then what did you do here?

@Scott:
Thanks; I'll update the docs-contribution-guide as soon as I can.
Forum Rules

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
No worries, I'll probably be around a lot now anyway, so I'll be ready whenever.
(24.02.2012, 04:26:10)Renegade Wrote:
(23.02.2012, 23:40:22)Graion Dilach Wrote: Ren, the manual has no hijackers and the rest of the branches weren't documented.

Fixing this one.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ares/+bug/910146
Hijackers...

Right, looking through the bugtracker, the relevant code is VehicleThief=(boolean) on the Hijacker, without needing Thief=yes, Agent=yes or Infiltrate=yes, and VehicleThief.Allowed=(boolean) on a technotype, correct? And that VehicleThief and CanDrive behave the same way on neutral units?
The hijacker feature is fully documented in its branch, and the docs should be up to date. I'll port it to the new format when time comes.
CanDrive and VehicleThief are not the same. Drivers can only enter vehicles made neutral by using the KillDriver logic. The VehicleThief can only steal neutral vehicles as long as the driver has not been killed by KillDriver.

The branch fixes 8 (IIRC) additional bugs, like hijackers never escaping when a unit is destroyed in 0.1, PilotCount not working, spawning with parachute on slopes, and several hijacker and mindcontrol interaction problems.
(24.02.2012, 14:33:44)Graion Dilach Wrote:
(24.02.2012, 04:26:10)Renegade Wrote:

Fixing this one.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ares/+bug/910146
A clearer commit message would've helped. Tongue
Forum Rules