Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where the Wild Downloads Grow
Concerning leaks, I believe you kinda had it coming.

It's that over-organization I believe I talked about in the IRC channel once, hard to describe for me. Ares suffers from it. You have a designated somebody for everything, which can be good, but is probably unmaintainable in a community consisting of limited people and dedicated to a game that's over 10 years old.

Naturally people have something better to do, which you really shouldn't be mad about. Sure, they applied as testers and kindof lied about being available or willing to test every bit, I can understand you being mad about them. But then again, what's the chance of somebody dedicating a lot of their time to something like this, especially if you bitch back at them if they miss a few days and go on vacation and delay releases for ages. There has been one Ares release since I started working on the DLL system 3 years ago...

I say use these leaks as public testing versions. Those developing mods will know best about what's wrong, a lot better than these designated testers having to test by protocol. I'm a professional software dev by now, and I know how testing sucks.

If people who illegitimately use Ares 0.2 leaks report problems (yes, even if it's some n00b bitching about it and set the wrong severity in the bugtracker and is illiterate...), stop calling them fucking morons, but be happy that somebody is finally testing stuff and use the input. It's enough to emphasize that those builds are inherently unstable, and there's also nothing wrong telling mod developers to not f'in distribute them. But voluntary, motivation-driven cross-testing is the best thing that can happen to you these days.

I'm not turning into n00b-friendly Banshee v2, I just think all these politics don't work for a project like this. The result is delayed releases, which will rather make people quit than motivate them to test harder next time. My two cents about the whole situation.
[Image: jsfml.png]

Messages In This Thread
Where the Wild Downloads Grow - by Renegade - 21.09.2011, 20:56:40
RE: Where the Wild Downloads Grow - by Guest - 22.09.2011, 20:28:01
RE: Where the Wild Downloads Grow - by Renegade - 22.09.2011, 23:23:22
RE: Where the Wild Downloads Grow - by Guest - 23.09.2011, 02:18:26
RE: Where the Wild Downloads Grow - by WoRmINaToR - 24.09.2011, 00:23:22
RE: Where the Wild Downloads Grow - by eva-251 - 24.09.2011, 20:09:54
RE: Where the Wild Downloads Grow - by WoRmINaToR - 24.09.2011, 20:34:38
RE: Where the Wild Downloads Grow - by pd - 30.09.2011, 20:46:09
RE: Where the Wild Downloads Grow - by Renegade - 01.10.2011, 17:07:13