Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Templates
I've been doing quite a bit of reading, just generally poking around, seeing what is where and what does what. My main sources of reading have been the original rulesmd.ini file from RA2YR, DeeZires amazing guide, stiff doses from ModEnc, and sifting through years of forum posts. All of these sources are tremendously helpful.
My question: Is there somewhere I can find blank templates for [Infantry Types], [Vehicle Types], [Aircraft Types] and [Building Types]. My hypothesis is that I could use blank templates, without values or settings, as a sort of index. If I could centralize and essentialize what is involved in tying everything together in the rulesmd.ini file, I could backtrace each component with the existing sources much easier.
Example:
(From Unmodified rulesmd.ini file)
Code:
; GI ; Allied GI
[E1]
UIName=Name:E1
Name=GI
Image=GI
Category=Soldier
Primary=M60
Secondary=Para
Occupier=yes ; I can Occupy UC buildings
Etc, etc, etc...

From that, I could look up and define what each tag means. Reading through the rulesmd.ini file, I noticed that some tags were used some places, and other tags that were used other places, and some units omit some tags entirely. If this were all collated into a single template, as a sort of index it would make several tasks easier.
First, for beginners like me, it would make learning about the material more unified, demonstrating application rather than just saying, "Here's a tag in a big list, good luck finding where you can use it." I realize thats a bit self centered, but this resource, if it existed, would be immensely valuable as a learning aid.
Second, for people who have surpassed my meager familiarity with the inner workings of RA2YR and are making their own units or whatnot, it would make a fantastic checklist. One could make a straightforward set of progressions through a set of tasks, the end result being higher confidence in the quality of work, higher confidence that it will work when put into use and a good yardstick that can be used in searching for bugs and such.
If this kind of thing is out there, I haven't found it. If it hasn't been created yet, it would be just the sort of task I would be interested in doing.

What do ya'll think?
FormerAres Documentation Manager
Nobody here but us trees...
Graion Dilach Wrote:Worm, you know this guy is an American lawyer of some sort.
Giggle Good one!
http://modenc.renegadeprojects.com/Categ..._INI_Flags might come in handy. Wink

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
I can't believe I didn't find this on my own... Bang head against wall
The only trouble with this is that it seems there's no prioritization organization. It seems like the WW folks had a format they followed when they put their shit together, albeit an incredibly loose and infuriating format. I think thats what I was headed for, but this is way better than what I thought I was gonna get. Thanks, DCoder!
Giggle Good one!
Well, yes, you don't have to use every tag on every object. If it can use the default value for that tag, it's not needed. Also, the list order can vary as well.

I think this is an incredibly flexible format. Of course that doesn't mean it can't be disturbing for you. I just got used to it.
Thats what I'll be doing. As the great poet and scholar Mick Jagger said, "You can't always get what you want..." As it is, the format is excellent. I like being able to just click on the bastard and have a fairly adequate definition and function pop up. Very handy indeed.
Giggle Good one!