Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Ares have everything to create a perfect mine layer?
Question 
Hello!

Before I start to make a feature request, I want to make sure if the required features are not already in.

What I always missed was a perfect mine layer unit. I know some approaches from the past... The "DeeZire's Mine Layer" deployed cloaked flat buildings onto the map, which come with a new free unit containing one mine less. There were several problems with this approach: the unit healed itself after a mine was deployed, the mine layer and its mines had to have veteran status, the mine layer could not be reloaded etc...

I saw another approach in a mod (cant remember which one it was), which used the enslave method to create a mine field. Problem: the mines were invisible to all players and the mines also "attacked" friendly units.

It would be great to have a mine layer which drops cloaked mines visible to all allied sites. The unit itself has to stay the same to keep its damage or veteran/elite status. The mines should be triggered even if a fast tank runs over them. They should not be triggered by a friendly unit. The mine layer unit has to be reloadable in the service depot for a certain amount of money. Is it possible with Ares to create such a unit?

Benjamin

Tomorrow I check how it worked in RA1. Also, I got an idea, so I'll play with that as well.
http://bugs.renegadeprojects.com/view.php?id=317
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Hi Benjamin, im developed other way to create Mine Layer with RA2:YR, view the tutorial at PPM forums in this link:

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27485

Is not perfect Mine Layer, but are practical, useful and without the typical problems of mine layers from Deezire and Supernova (slaves) Wink

Test it and tell me...
Check this:
http://forums.revora.net/topic/43746-ra2...any-times/
There are some problems with this logic, like when you deploy this mine layer to place a mine, your vehicle get full health becuse its a new vehicle. A way to balance that is to give the mine layer very low health, wich make sense.
Java student.
Actually, that place mentions another idea... the minelayer's weapons spawns an infantry and that infantry is the mine.

That is possible with MakeInfantry logic and with Ares, that "only one player-controlled infantry be spawned"-limitation is lifted.

Heh, I may make this unit, now I'm interested. In theory, the warhead anim should have both MakeInfantry and MakeInfantryOwner and we're done.
@Graion Dilach: This have little difficulty. Someone has finished this logic on npatch, but I don't have his code.
Yeah, have tested it.

I guess my code was the problem, because I couldn't play that animation. And currently I don't have time to test again, but after I'm finished with the Ares 0.2 stuff, I'll go back to this.
@Graion Dilach
That "someone" refers to me.
With Ares just use some airburst weapon whose warhead animlist mutates to mine infantry.Easy,simple,but with good effect.

With binary 985 this is already available.Or just test any warhead with AnimList=GENDEATH.
(18.02.2011, 02:29:26)secondwtq Wrote: @Graion Dilach: This have little difficulty. Someone has finished this logic on npatch, but I don't have his code.

吐个槽。
Whassat...
I followed this thread for a while... and I don't see anything that helps me so far. So I guess the answer to my initial question is "no".

@Augusto:
Your idea was new to me, but without directly coding it, i see three disadvantages: first of all, you have unlimited mines. That's just bad. Secondly, you never know where the mine is deployed. I don't have the possibility to drop a mine on a specific field, because it's always put somewhere next to me. And last, you always have to undeploy again.

At the moment, I am using a modified terror drone, which can deploy into a mine. Because Ares corrects the cloaking logic, it works well.
You surely missed this thread
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.p...859#418859
I have to admit, that i do not exactly understand how this kind of mind layer works. But I see a mine layer, which seems to be able to place unlimited mines without being near to the destination cell. That's not what I was looking for. I will try to understand what's exactly going on - that might possibly change my mind.
Decrease AresMineLayer's range. Kenosis's mine layer is an infantry spawner.