The internet is a lawless place with knowledge and sarcastic wit the pistols of this wild frontier.
Don't go out without being sufficiently armed.

~Blade

Other places

Ares (Current version: 0.B)

Ares's primary facilities have been moved elsewhere:

• If you wish to report a bug in Ares, please proceed to its bugtracker.
  • If you'd like to request a feature, register a blueprint.
  • If you have questions or can provide answers regarding Ares's usage, visit the Q&A section.
  • Before you post a new question, you should check the FAQ, though.

Behavior

• Mind the forum rules.
  • Due to its documentedly horrible quality, we do not offer NPatch support.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Video!
Commander-in-Chief DCoder Offline
Not Ares Anymore
Admins

Cool Video!
Speeder from Mental Omega created another preview video showing off multiple features of Ares. Behold:

One of our new helpers, Graion Dilach, also made a video:

Note: certain features in the videos are only available in testing builds for now.
22.01.2011 15:50:50
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Private WoRmINaToR Offline
Members

RE: Video!
Okay, can someone tell me what software, codecs, and configurations they use for recording videos of YR? Cuz I am having problems getting a balance between video quality and an acceptable framerate in the resulting video output... I use camtasia studio for recording videos at the moment. FRAPS crashes my YR with an IE during loading, CamStudio is unable to detect my audio hardware, and I really don't know of any other good screen recording programs, and worst of all I don't know any good recording codecs that are good for this type of stuff...
22.01.2011 17:25:12
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ares Tester Graion Dilach Offline

Well, I use HyperCam and I don't compress the video when I record. (Interestingly, HyperCam recorded the sound) I put the source video into VirtualDub and use ffdshow's XVID and LAME's MP3 codec. IMO Youtube degrades the quality, too.

Unfortunately, my computer isn't enough to record YR 25 fps even without compression.
(This post was last modified: 22.01.2011 17:48:50 by Graion Dilach.)
22.01.2011 17:47:02
~Guest~
Guests

No info available...
@Graion Dilach: I'd convert it in VirtualDub with the x264 codec and LAME's MP3 encoder. I'd also upscale it to 1080p. Here's a video of C&C1 I uploaded a while back upscaled to 1080p with ~5% of sharpening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yETzI3yw_E0

There's a ~5% quality loss over the original FRAPS capture encoded with x264. I converted the capture with x264 set to 'lossless' because the resulting file size was really small. but normally I set it to multipass with a target bitrate of 6000 kbit/s. I made the following capture of a game of C&C Renegade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpohoufEg...er&list=UL

I did forget to turn 'Force lossless RGB capture' on (which is why the red in that video is so blurry).
23.01.2011 01:08:03
Quote this message in a reply
Ares Tester Graion Dilach Offline

Hmmm. Thanks for the tip, it really looks nice.

TBH I play with 800x600, but I don't see any reasons why I shouldn't try out your settings. Definitely'll go for one when I create that one.
23.01.2011 02:46:51
Private AlliedG Offline
Members

@ Worminator - Control Panel - Sound - Recording, right click one of the devices and enable show list of disabled devices, your sound card or whatever should appear, you then enable it.

Camtasia has the best quality and editing options imo.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 27.01.2011 15:13:53 by AlliedG.)
27.01.2011 15:09:09

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)