Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Ares, Probabilities, the Future and the State of the Community
I dunno what people's problems with feedback is, because developer feedback seems to me to be one of the stronger points of Ares so far - especially during the DFD they proved that they'd thought about things at least a bit.

Also, this may be a silly question, but I've verified a few features are free of screw-ups so now how do I get that official? I don't see a button, so is it a testers-only ability?
post a report in the related issue in the bugtracker, and an admin will promptly mark the issue as resolved. Upon further feedback from other testers it will be confirmed and closed granted the feedback is positive.
Renegade Wrote:Should we just cast a spell, sacrifice a goat, and then God reads the mind of the submitter and conjures up the code?
No. You should enter a command in command prompt, sacrifice a PPM n00b, and then DCoder reads the mind of the submitter and conjures up the code using his l33t coding powers...Tongue
"The present is theirs. The future, for which I really worked, is mine."
- Nikola Tesla

"My - y - my - your - my vision has permutated. My - y - my - your - my plans have followed a path unpredicted by the union of Nod and GDI. Your - my - our - our directives must be reassessed." - Kane/CABAL

[Image: 9853.png]
I don't see how the two methods are different. I suppose yours clarifies who god is...
(05.11.2010, 07:16:22)DCoder Wrote: @Fen: check the top right corner of the issue list - http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/7184/verify.gif .

This doesn't show up for me, is it only for users?
Dammit. I changed the config, now guests should be able to see it too. (See what happens when people report problems instead of fuming silently? Big Grin 2 ) I also made it possible for guests to view issue history, which was also disabled...

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
There's way too much stuff that I'd like to address and too little time to do it, but I have to:
-Agree with Renegade fully
-Apologize to being guilty of some of the aforementioned issues myself.

I don't test/use beta builds of Ares nearly as much as I should. I check SVNs religiously- svn.renegadeprojects.com and svn.icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces (A Quake 1 engine) are my most visited sites by a wide margin. I watch for feature implementations, bug fixes and performance improvements.

When I test feature additions in my Quake mod, I have the Command Prompt window open with the compiler ready to run upon pressing enter. I run DarkPlaces in windowed mode, I test the feature. If it doesn't work, I move my mouse over to Notepad++, tweak a few lines of code, recompile it, click on the Darkplaces window, go to the console, and type "map e1m1"- code is reloaded and I am ready to see if the bug is squashed. All in the course of 30 seconds. If I need to compare its functionality to say, a stock Quake feature, I abort the map, go back to the console, deactivate the mod and run stock Quake. All in the course of 15-20 seconds. And if my code is bad, it bounces me back to the console, only very rarely will it send me to the desktop.

In RA2/YR, I have to drag around tons of files, mixes, CSFs, bags, yrms, idxs, plus any loose files around, use external mod managers, etc. I need to close the game and restart it to test a feature. I need to make "developer mode" tweaks to quickly test minor changes (IE setting the build-time really fast or making the unit cost nothing/buildable with basic tech). Errors in my code bounce me back to the desktop.

But the speed and ease (or lack thereof) at which I can test features is just one issue for me.

The other issue is that most of the features have either too much or too little utility to me. I honestly don't care about Radar Jammers or Chrono Prisons. I can't even think about where to start with that absolutely awesome custom super-weapon feature. I mean that seriously- when I made Star Strike, I built it being consciously aware of the limitations of Yuri's Revenge, so when I see "HOLY SHIT GUYS UNLIMITED SUPERWEAPONS", I don't know where to start. Tongue
So ultimately I would have to create a sandbox mod for testing Ares features and manage it with my other modding projects. And given how slow testing stuff is in CNC games, it would wear on my patience and I'd eventually give up with the sandbox mod and leave it alone, going back to testing the features I will use on Ares.

I guess in "tl;dr" form, it boils down to me being lazy, rather than not caring, disliking or having something against the developers.

I will try to be more productive in regards to Ares testing in the future. It's the least I can do for effectively leeching off your hard work for so long.

edit- and I guess it is interesting to show that so many people are ignorant of how a project is properly developed. People can laugh at how Ares is developed, but it's effective, efficient.
Star Strike Next Beta :V.7x -- (current version=V.6x Build 2)
Star Strike TC Forums
Star Strike Website
as a response to M666 and his "nobody tests online" thing, I do a bit of testing via LAN, which I would assume covers a lot of "online" too, what with it being two machines talking to each other, and can't say as I've found any issues so far that didn't crop up offline too, so network game stability would appear to be pretty good so far.
[Image: MRMIdAS2k.jpg]
MRMIdAS: No longer allowed to criticise Westwood on PPM
Come in,look and see,get out.Dont reply me.
Whassat...