Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DirectDraw / Windows 7 / YR
As far as I know, and as underlined by certain fixes, YR uses DirectDraw, and ddraw.dll in particular.

I figured the Windows 7 users among you might be interested in this project which was linked off of /. today.

While the article is heavily Wing Commander-centric, the summary on /. explicitly states
Quote:"I bought a bunch of old Wing Commander games for Windows, but they use DirectDraw, which Microsoft has deprecated. They don't work too well under Windows 7, so I ended up reimplementing ddraw.dll using OpenGL to output the games' graphics. [...]"
...so it could work with YR as well. If it supports the right version of DirectDraw. The only way to find out is try it. (Though the author cautions it would be a "miracle" at this point.)

Edit: While /. has lost a lot of power in recent years, and the author did submit the story himself, suggesting he is prepared, it is still possible the server gets knocked out by the traffic, or becomes just plain slow. As such, I have provided a local mirror.

Edit 2: Wise commenters have pointed out that the Wine project obviously also has their own implementation of ddraw.dll, and the Wine on Windows page says "The DirectX implementation should work on Windows with some tweaking already.". While Wine itself doesn't seem to run yet, you can compile a single .dll, according to them.

Not sure how many of our Win7 users actually do have a problem with the game, but since it came up, I thought I'd drop this here, for future reference.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Hm. The only problem I've had with YR on Windows 7 is that it occasionally won't run Ares properly (it keeps focus on the desktop, requiring the process to be killed externally; this usually happens when something like FireFox is running. I don't know why.).
"The present is theirs. The future, for which I really worked, is mine."
- Nikola Tesla

"My - y - my - your - my vision has permutated. My - y - my - your - my plans have followed a path unpredicted by the union of Nod and GDI. Your - my - our - our directives must be reassessed." - Kane/CABAL

[Image: 9853.png]
Apparently using the "Disable Desktop Composition" setting on the compatibility tab will fix that.

Edit: Compatibility tab of gamemd.exe, I mean.
Ares Project Manager.
[Image: t3wbanner.png]
[Image: cncgsigsb_sml.png]
Open Ares positions: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.
PM if interested.