Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DFD: Round III
With 15 new threads, our Daily Feature Deathmatch goes into the third round!

The Ultimate Smackdown has reduced the field to 60 issues, meaning we'll reach the target group size one round earlier than expected, and will end the DFD after Round 4.

Given that, after the DFD, we will start rescheduling and planning both for the smaller releases as well as to align the schedule more with community demand, you should also go and use the ICS system to voice your stance on existing confirmed and assigned issues, so we know which issues to give priority, and which issues to put at the end of the queue for now.

To make this clear: Community support will be key in future scheduling - so if you don't go and submit your stances, you have no basis for complaint if the schedule isn't to your liking. Tongue
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Just asking since there hasn't been any progress on the DFD front for the past 9 days, when can we expect the results of the current and start of the last round?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want urge anyone, if you say something like "we're currently too busy to do both coding and voting the remaining DFD fights, so we want to concentrate on finishing Ares 0.2 for now" I'm perfectly fine with that, I'm just curious (about the results, too Tongue).
Having tested multiple builds from my branches, you should have noticed I focused on coding in the past week - I got a little behind on that. Wink

Judging 30 fights takes time, time which is currently spent on coding. Don't worry, DFD will continue soon enough.
Forum Rules

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
I'd say end the DFD cause it's narrowed down to really, really good issues that should probably all be implemented at some point.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
I'm what Willis was talkin' about.
Well, 60 might still be a bit much, and R3 has already been rated almost halfway through, so I think it makes sense to finish that one. But yeah, I also wouldn't mind if round 4 was dropped.

Maybe after R3 has been rated, simply use the current ICS rating to determine the 15 winners of R4, and instead of suspending the losers, simply schedule them for later releases.

I know, I know, there's simply too many requests and some of the better ones have to "die", we had that discussion already and I understand and agree with the reasoning behind it.

The only problem I have with that is: Several of the current DFD participants are both a) much more popular according to the ICS and b) at least look like they'd be easier to implement than many requests that have already been either scheduled or assigned.

Example: Let's assume in R4 "Ammo= on weapons" and "aircraft-specific reload times" would have to fight each other.
Both are in the Top 15 of ICS, both are rather straightforward and - at least to my amateurish eyes - don't seem to be too problematic to implement (at least ac-specific reload).

At the same time, there are multiple issues assigned and/or scheduled that have little to no support so far, and others that have some support (but still less than those two) but sound MUCH more complicated.

So I fully understand the need to keep the amount of requests on a tolerable level, but it would be frustrating to see one of the 'gems' of DFD lose and get suspended when some other features that barely anyone cares about are going to be implemented only because they were lucky enough to get assigned and/or scheduled before DFD started.

Even if we proceed as planned, the losers of R4 (and probably some losers of previous rounds as well) would probably be re-opened or receive multiple duplicate requests somewhere in the future anyway, so in the long run the result will probably be more or less the same, and by dropping R4 we could further reduce the amount of time spent on DFD.

Well, as always, this is only my opinion/suggestion Wink
Round 4 will not be dropped.
Forum Rules