Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LAN in Win 7 YR/TS
Yes yes, this is an old question but googling hasn't really found me a solution.

After finding out my gf is into Tiberian Sun, I've tried getting some LAN action in. Both TS and RA2/YR install and play just fine on my copy on Windows 7, but as we all know, the IPX protocol is not present in Win 7 (or Vista).

Does anyone know a workaround, like a custom patch for the games, or a way to install IPX on Win 7 (32 bit)?
Use the UDP patch from here. Makes TS and RA2/YR use the UDP protocol instead of IPX, so it should work on Windows 7 (at least, it works on Vista for me). Just put the DLL in your TS/RA2 folder.
Ares Project Manager.
[Image: t3wbanner.png]
[Image: cncgsigsb_sml.png]
Open Ares positions: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.
PM if interested.
Excellent! The games now find each other, with a crossover cable at least.

Next, is there a way to tell which serial number an installation is using? I cannot play because I am using the same key for both PCs. I actually have 2 keys but I don't want to end up installing the wrong one again...
Have a look at this registry key:
32bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Westwood\Tiberian Sun
64bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Westwood\Tiberian Sun

You should find a string item called "Serial" that is the serial without the dashes.
It might work to just change that.
Thanks a bunch guys.

I now have a fully modded, TX and Assault mode-enabled Yuri's Revenge, and Tiberian Sun Firestorm working on Windows 7 32-bit over LAN.

SO worth staying up till 4am for Big Grin
I've got to say a big thanks on this one too (I hadn't come into contact with this particular fix previously),and its good for me to be able to finally get RA2 working over LAN Big Grin
I just emailed scorpio9a (Kevin), the creator of these patches and thanked him, and now I will be hosting these patches on my own website to help get them out there. While googling the LAN problem in Win7/Vista I noticed a huge number of people trying and failing to install IPX on these OS', completely unaware of the patches.
Quote:finally get RA2 working over LAN
And with a utility like Hamachi that means you can now play worldwide! There is no escape.
Yes, but the new Hamachi sucks hardcore. I shall have to test it with YR and TS....
as a note of interest, I have heard about a program called Tunngle that's a good (or at least better) alternative to hamachi. Haven't actually tried it myself, but if Truefeel (infamous for having just about every problem imaginable regarding LAN and online RA2/YR) got it to work with Tunngle, it should work for anyone.

Oh, and by the way, When I tried doing this myself, I tried changing a random number in the serial code in my registry, but the game's copy protection activated. Everything exploded seconds after starting up the game, even on network. How did you bypass this and get it working, whiteboy?

I heard once upon a time that RA2.exe is what manages copy protection, so perhaps directly running game.exe without RA2.exe would work? Not sure on that one.
Hey there,

Well, I was only trying to find out where my serial was to see if I had installed the same serial on my laptop as my desktop. I wasn't actually trying to change it. In the end, I just reinstalled YR on my laptop with my other serial and I could LAN just fine.

Thanks for that suggestion, I might give Tunngle a try Big Grin
ah, you just had different serial codes?
Yes, exactly. I own about 3 different releases of YR and RA2, haha.