Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DFD: 503 vs. 765, 724 vs. 443
DFD: Daily Feature Deathmatch

The Cruel Fight For Implementation

This is a Daily Feature Deathmatch post. If you are unfamiliar with the background of this event, please read the announcement, the adjustment and the schedule.

Fight 1

[0000503] New weapons system vs. [0000765] Allow buildings to have weapons & garrison logic

Fight 2

[0000724] Additional flag for cameo sort order vs. [0000443] Cloak/uncloak speed unit definable

After the fight is over, two of these issues will be suspended, while the other two move on to the next round.
Remember that the coders will not take part in the discussion, so make your arguments complete, concise and convincing - when it's over, it's over.

Part of that is clearly marking what outcome you support for which issue.
There should be no ambiguity in the issue you're talking about, and it should be clear what outcome you support. Feel free to put your stance in bold, and use simple terminology like "kill #69" or "I want #42 to survive".
This use of simple terminology should be part of a larger argumentation - if this is all your post consists of, it will be ignored. We are interested in argumentations and details to consider, not votes.

A decision will be made either way, a lack of discussion will not cause all issues to live.

Be friendly, be civil, be logical.
You are allowed to try to deconstruct the arguments of those arguing against your candidate, but remember that they don't make the call - there is really no point in getting personal.

The discussion should be contained in this thread, argumentations elsewhere will be ignored, but you are allowed to transfer and adapt points made elsewhere in the past.

We want a good, clean fight.
Let's get it on! Dual M16

These fights are largely automatically generated - if an issue turns out to be unfit for combat, it will be disqualified and the opponent will go into the queue.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Fight 1:
#503 isn't clearly enough defined IMO, and some of the stuff should be covered/possible to emulate by stuff like #504, #730 etc.

#765 is a reasonable request, you could for example have a bunker that has just a machine gun by default but can be garrisoned to improve its firepower.

So kill #503.

Fight 2:
#724 has a duplicate (#938 ) that is seemingly already assigned to DCoder.
Well, I consider the cameo order a minor, mostly cosmetical thing either way.

Issue #443 otoh is more or less obsolete as CloakingSpeed takes care of it, so the remaining request is essentially reduced to a way to control how long that unit stays visible (which would actually be useful).

Under these circumstances I'd say #443 should survive, even though it's title is completely misleading.

Administrative Notice:

Closed #724 as duplicate. #443 survives by default.
Forum Rules

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Kill #503. It's already possible with rockets so cannon shells are already doable. USELESS request. However, I do sort of like #765... though, it gets hairy when turrets are involved. I support that one.

Even though Ren says #443 survives by default, I still say KILL IT WITH FIRE.
I'm what Willis was talkin' about.
[0000765] seems like a good idea, possibly an extension of the opentopped logic.
[Image: MRMIdAS2k.jpg]
MRMIdAS: No longer allowed to criticise Westwood on PPM
to argue in 724's favour here, I will take the same thing i wrote in 938's bugnotes and put it here:
WoRmINaToR Wrote:It's simple to explain (and see) why these are separate issues. For THIS issue, while the original request is asking for something that would serve a similar purpose, the currently planned implementation for this issue is NOT the same as the original requests of either issue.

Also, the nature of the original requests of both are actually a bit different, one is asking to FORCE a cameo into a specific position and reserve spots for each cameo, whereas 724 is simply asking for a flag that better dictates sort order.

If it isn't obvious yet, I am asking for the re-opening because I want both this "background changing relative to cameo position," and the actual tag in 724 that will force cameos into a more specific order.

They are related issues, but as of recent events are not duplicates.

I rest my case.

In actuality, 724 is the issue that should win by default, because CloakSpeed= is already able to control decloaking speed AND it can be set on a per-unit basis, this there is absolutely no need for Ares coders to do anything, it already functions in the vanilla game. On the other hand, as I have pointed out, 724 IS NOT a duplicate of any issue and thus should move on.

As for fight one, the same thing is true. 503 is completely do-able with the stock game, and contrary to the anon's post in the note, shrapnel weapons DO work with any type of weapon, including cannons and rockets etc.

Thus, I support issue #724 and issue #765.

Administrative Notice:

As it has been correctly pointed out, #443 was a moot issue, and has also been closed.
That was one boring-ass fight.

Update: For organizational reasons, #724 has been reopened; but since #443 is dead, that makes no difference, as the fight still isn't happening.
Forum Rules

Administrative Notice:

Given that there have been no new posts in the past three days, it is assumed this discussion is finished; we will proceed to consider the arguments.
Forum Rules

Alright, since Fight 2 doesn't have to be judged, and it looks like #503 is doable in the stock game, and everyone supported that outcome, I vote

Kill #503
Support #765
Forum Rules

Fight 1
Yes, quite boring to judge. I concur with everyone here. That is, weapons and garrison logic.
The consensus is the result.
Forum Rules