Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DFD: 938 vs. 1003, 488 vs. 988
DFD: Daily Feature Deathmatch

The Cruel Fight For Implementation

This is a Daily Feature Deathmatch post. If you are unfamiliar with the background of this event, please read the announcement, the adjustment and the schedule.

Fight 1

[0000938] Fixed Cameo Positions vs. [0001003] menu.ini / Multiple Campaign Lists

Fight 2

[0000488] Cliff SHP sequences request vs. [0000988] Allow Units to Change Looks depending on MindControl, Ammo, and Passengers

After the fight is over, two of these issues will be suspended, while the other two move on to the next round.
Remember that the coders will not take part in the discussion, so make your arguments complete, concise and convincing - when it's over, it's over.

Part of that is clearly marking what outcome you support for which issue.
There should be no ambiguity in the issue you're talking about, and it should be clear what outcome you support. Feel free to put your stance in bold, and use simple terminology like "kill #69" or "I want #42 to survive".
This use of simple terminology should be part of a larger argumentation - if this is all your post consists of, it will be ignored. We are interested in argumentations and details to consider, not votes.

A decision will be made either way, a lack of discussion will not cause all issues to live.

Be friendly, be civil, be logical.
You are allowed to try to deconstruct the arguments of those arguing against your candidate, but remember that they don't make the call - there is really no point in getting personal.

The discussion should be contained in this thread, argumentations elsewhere will be ignored, but you are allowed to transfer and adapt points made elsewhere in the past.

We want a good, clean fight.
Let's get it on! Dual M16

These fights are largely automatically generated - if an issue turns out to be unfit for combat, it will be disqualified and the opponent will go into the queue.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
For fight 1 I am not impressed with an idea of fixed icon positions, its not Tiberium wars where each factory has its own list of units, the all get thrown togther. I would like to see some better sorting for when you capture other factories so they get listed according to original side, your side, allied, soviet, yuri, sidex, owned by multiple sides and such in that order with the one you are obviously missing since it would go first. Kind of how the buildings seem to be organised. I'm sure cameo sort order is already in another issue on the tracker though. Similarly, the multiple campaign list seems a bit extraneous, how many people even make one campaign, much less enough to fill several lists. I do like the idea of unlockable campaigns though and again that is found in another issue on the tracker.

For fight 2, I really don't like the idea of cliff jumping, climbing or whatever units, cliffs are supposed to be impssable for ground units in RA2 and if you want to make land that is not passable except to infantry, make marsh land tiles that use the tiberium vein type terrain or something that only infantry speed types can traverse in rulesmd.ini. Making the psychic towers work as originally intended seems a bit specific, but if the logic is extended to other things buildings can be doing it might justify it such as an alternate anim if a tesla coil is over charged or a gap generator was deployed to super mode.
Kill #1003. It might be cool, but I dunno. I like #938 for adding some sidebar flare to the game.

Kill #488. I'm just going to agree with Blade on this one, and support #988 if it will be extended to other structures.
I'm what Willis was talkin' about.
@Blade: Please read the current discussion and DCoder's plan on implementing #938; The current plan is not to fix cameos in a certain position, but rather to change cameo images depending on whether the cameo is in the left or right side of the sidebar. Completely different requests.
isn't [0001003] already implemented? if so go with [0000938].

[0000988] changing look depending on state would be a cool thing to have, especially as it was originally intended to be in the game.
[Image: MRMIdAS2k.jpg]
MRMIdAS: No longer allowed to criticise Westwood on PPM

Administrative Notice:

#938 has been resolved as duplicate. #1003 advances by default.
Forum Rules

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
488 is nearly useless, I don't know anyone who would be motivated to do an entire new set of infantry anims so one soldier could traverse cliffs... As opposed to 988 where we could have trucks/landing craft that had little rows of heads appear when loaded, or other variations on the theme. I've already argued in favour of ammo alt-images elsewhere, they're all useful, telling you the approximate status of your units -and your enemies- at a glance. This streamlines gameplay and reduces un-necessary micro. Once again a useful goal for any mod.

Administrative Notice:

Given that there have been no new posts in the past three days, it is assumed this discussion is finished; we will proceed to consider the arguments.
Forum Rules

The consensus here seems to be clear, and I agree with it.

Kill: #488
Support: #988
Forum Rules

Fight 2
Most post argue that infantry shouldn't be able to traverse cliffs, but the issue isn't about infantry and it isn't about cliffs either. The requester corrected himself to slopes. And indeed, SHP tanks look weird on slopes and the issue requests to use different images when a tank climbs a slope.

Changing looks depending on passengers/captured units would look cool indeed and glowing Psychic towers would easily be differenciated from towers that still have full capacity. But who wants to create ten voxels to add one little soldier in the back of a truck to show how many passengers it has?

Both are good issues and both should get implemented, but not to full extend as both can be misused way beyond reason. For now, I vote for the misunderstood Slope SHP sequence.
488 is very much related to 328 and is fairly important for that to work. Whereas 988 is just cloning of WaterVoxel logic, which can be tacked on at any time with minimal effort.

Support 488

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
Result:

#488 / Cliff SHP sequences request survives, #1003 moves on by default.
Forum Rules