Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Except Error
Now I had received this error prior to Ares and now with Ares I received it again. I believe it was DCoder that made a comment to me once that the problem couldn't be pinpointed at the time, but maybe when Ares was released more help could be available. Well, here is my except txt. It is not due to Ares, I know this for a fact.
The full crashdump would have helped more... but still. Either you have some seriously fucked up external files (tiles, images, whatever was written by third party tools and not the game), files with insane headers (like images that declare themselves to be 9000x90000 pixels or something), or your RAM is hosed. Are you overclocking? Can this crash be reproduced under specific conditions or only at random? Can you narrow it down to presence of a specific file?

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
I would have sent the full file, but my nephew closed out of the screen before I had a chance to see what was going on, despite the fact being told Ares can give more info

All the files are the same as they have been for the last 6 months or so (except 1 new piece, mentioned later in response). One way I was fixing this problem was making a blank map the same size as the one that crashed (ex: crash map 100 by 100). I would open the map that crashed and copy all open blank map and paste centered. This usually works, but I have no idea why. You had mentioned once about maybe some of my new tiles were corrupt and I you mention in your response

Quote:Either you have some seriously fucked up external files (tiles, images, whatever was written by third party tools and not the game)

The map I used has one tile section that none of my other maps have, it was something I created about a month ago with no problem, though this is the first crash since the creation. Everything in the tile looks fine....but I will work with...again. I have 8 gigs of RAM so my ram is good, CPU usage is between 1 & 4%

I will try to reproduce the error again and send full dump file
Run memtest to see if your RAM is alright. Even if it's fine, you can at least rule that out as the source.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
I'll make this as simple as it gets. The game was trying to allocate a chunk of memory (for a new overlay, but it absolutely doesn't matter). It crashed when trying to update the bookkeeping info that is associated with each chunk of memory the application gets. That means that either the game overwrote the bookkeeping info (buffer overflow, pointer math fuckup, limit failure), or some outside factor did. I'll look into redirecting the game's allocators to Ares, but no promises, as that usually kills performance due to all the debugging that's compiled in.

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
Nikademis, have you tried simply removing that specific tileset from your map and seeing if that works?

I think before we get into all this technical debugging mojo jojo we need to have a quick look at some simple prime suspects, namely that special tileset he has in this particular map.

Also, Nikademis, does your game have any other problems OUTSIDE of this map?

If no, then I think it's a reasonable assumption that something he put in the map is causing the problem.
(14.06.2010, 19:32:00)WoRmINaToR Wrote: Nikademis, have you tried simply removing that specific tileset from your map and seeing if that works?

I think before we get into all this technical debugging mojo jojo we need to have a quick look at some simple prime suspects, namely that special tileset he has in this particular map.

Also, Nikademis, does your game have any other problems OUTSIDE of this map?

If no, then I think it's a reasonable assumption that something he put in the map is causing the problem.

I was told to use a different computer and I did. This is the results

Played one of my maps with my mod without Ares. The map ran fine. Then Ares was installed and played and crashed. Removed the pieces and played again with no Ares, ran fine. Reinstalled Ares and it ran fine. This test was done using 3 different computers. The piece is a modified parking lot piece with the lines. The piece is attached. So for some reason Ares does not like it.
Can anyone confirm that introducing that piece causes Ares to crash, and that it works as expected in vanilla YR?
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.