Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After over two years of development, six weeks of delays, 13 release candidates, with 10 minutes left to midnight in the US-Pacific time zone, we finally, ultimately, released Ares 0.1.

As of right now, we have six locations for the Ares Standalone Package, and Launch Base should be serving 0.1.
We will probably gain more during the course of the day.

We have tested Ares thoroughly for weeks and months, so we do not expect big problems, but if issues become apparent, we will quickly update the files - this is just one of the many reasons we highly recommend using Launch Base to work with Ares. Should there be an issue, LB will detect an available update and offer it to you automatically, rather than you having to check back whether you're outdated.

There isn't much more to say that I haven't said already in the previous posts of the past two months - promo shots are not done right now, but I have them open in the other window. I'll link them once they're done.

We would like to take this moment to thank all our supporters and helpers, the coders and contributors who helped craft Ares, our testers, who provided us with invaluable feedback, and especially Marshall, whose work on the manual and never ending cooperation with Launch Base development have ensured that Ares is easily usable by the masses.

And lastly, thank you for waiting for so long until we were finally ready to release our first public version - we hope Ares was worth the wait. Feel free to ask any questions remaining after reading the readme and the manual, and, most importantly, have fun using Ares!

Download Launch Base
or
Download Ares Standalone Package 0.1

Features list, if you don't want to download and read the manual there.

P.S.:
For those interested in metrics: 143 new flags or sections in 137 bugfixes, restorations and additions. And those are just the ones quickly countable through text search.

Edit: To rule out confusions and errors, please make 100% sure the YR you're running is unmodified, that is, it's neither RockPatch nor NPatch.
Ares is not compatible with RockPatch or NPatch, and failure is expected if you combine them.

Edit 2: It has transpired that the Custom Foundation Generator returns false values when used in Google Chrome. We'll investigate the reason - for now, please try to use it in Firefox if at all possible.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Congratulations on the 1st release of Ares guys Big Grin
Congrats!
It's a pretty funny feeling to see a project that you started evolve even though you quit a long while ago. I really appreciate that you made something out of it!

Wondrously, I found back all the YR assets (anims, buildings, voxels) I have been storing for years and which I believed to be lost, so I will most likely use that stuff to rehabilitate my good old professional n00b mod - of course based on Ares! Smile
[Image: jsfml.png]
Congratulations on the first release of Ares. Excellent work all the way around.
Star Strike Next Beta :V.7x -- (current version=V.6x Build 2)
Star Strike TC Forums
Star Strike Website
This release is KING!
Yes, the day has arrived! It's a shame I didn't get Incursion completed enough to release an Allies Beta on the same day.

This shall be spread around the news pages of the community by the way.
I guess I need to make an official newspost at FS. Tongue 2
I'm what Willis was talkin' about.
Nice
Thank you, everybody Smile
Took us long enough! LOL

Since the issue just came up, I've added a note to the original post - RP and NP should be off when running Ares.

How's Ares working for everyone so far?
Forum Rules

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
See, this is why we wait for things Big Grin
Sooner or later, we get to see a massive feature list and think "I'm going to do that, and that, and that, and two of those..."

Good to see a release.. Now, onwards to the next version, or are you going to slow down?
BTW, why the vulture logo? Tongue
Yeah baby!! Ares 0.1 is out! Woohoo!
"The present is theirs. The future, for which I really worked, is mine."
- Nikola Tesla

"My - y - my - your - my vision has permutated. My - y - my - your - my plans have followed a path unpredicted by the union of Nod and GDI. Your - my - our - our directives must be reassessed." - Kane/CABAL

[Image: 9853.png]
The vulture was historically one of the symbols of the deity Ares; given that both true lines of C&C heritage used birds as emblems (for GDI and Allies), it seemed like a natural pick. Smile

And so far, we have no plans to slow down...in fact, given that recent weeks' work was kind of stalled by the fact that we couldn't do drastic changes, to keep the code base stable, and that testing went very slow, if anything, we'll probably speed up a little, in comparison.

We're purposely trying to keep the change sets smaller in between versions to have releases more frequently, but how long it ultimately takes depends both on how many bugs are reported in 0.1, and how many bugs the 0.2 features produce before release - WW's code base often needs a little love before it cooperates. Wink

You'll be happy to know that I prepared everything for 0.2 development several hours ago, though, and that 25% of the scheduled issues are already marked as resolved.
I don't know how long it'll take, but I can guarantee you it will by far not take as long as it took for 0.1 to arrive! Smile
Forum Rules

I think i'm gonna get a bottle of champaign to celebrate this Big Grin Great work my dear members of RenProj community!
[Image: subjecttotrenches_passthrough.png]

Edit: Thanks for adding me to the credits despite the fact that I only participated in the early stage of the development.
[Image: osen2o7mpmm4jg1fs0.jpg]