Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For us who is going to switch
As you may know(DCoder), when Ares is released, many Rockpatch and NPatch users are going to switch to Ares. But this is going to be a bloody nightmare. So I am wondering if your tagnames on Ares could use the same codes as RP/NP so it wont be so hard? I expect to code new countries and sides when ares is released, but ex. radiation colors, tesla, permanent mindcontroll dont really need to change. Or you could write a tool.

extra question, are you going to code custom missiles to ares in future?
As our header says, we don't support NPatch. NPatch's state was very well known back in the day, and who decided to go with it anyway has to deal with the consequences.

As for RockPatch, while, on principle, Ares is something entirely different, I do think in cases where both patches provide the same functionality through a similar set of flags, i.e. in cases where it's simply a question of automatically renaming and re-arranging stuff, I could code a converter.

Mind, though, that Ares does not necessarily provide all RockPatch features at the time of your switch, so you may still manually have to go through and remove obsolete functionality.

Edit: btw, as usual, the more information we have, the easier this kind of thing is. So if you could provide a test RockPatch-ified INI and point out which functionalities exist in both patches, that would help the process a lot.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
I doubt it'll happen unless you re-code the flag names yourself (it should be pretty darn easy, if you know what I mean).. Besides, I believe D has a good reason for using this flag-naming convention..
ALL HAIL!!!! King of the Loosers
ugh.. Never mind..

[Image: 9c3cfb081d.png]

"Engine 2 is 'no longer' on fire." -One of those penguins from Madagascar (though, I can't seem to recall that guy's name.. Nay, who cares?)
Converter would be nice. I could help make that happend when Ares is released.
But what about superweapons? Are you using new tag names? That is what concern me the most, that would be confusing and take alot of time. I use no wrong using same tag names as RP/NP
You're going to need a converter. If I start supporting some tags from RP/NP as they were, I'll get complaints about only supporting a subset instead of all of them. And not all features are implemented exactly the same way in Ares as they were in those other patches - if some of the tags are supported with slight differences, and the rest are not supported at all, I feel it'll increase confusion for people. Compare that to not supporting any old flags at all - you can far more easily see things are broken when nothing works. Hell, I might even add a check for the RP/NP specific flags and warn people about the consequences...

What do you mean about superweapons?

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
(23.11.2009, 07:25:52)DCoder Wrote: What do you mean about superweapons?
Superweapon clones
I created a general RP -> Ares Migration Assistance thread to provide a central point of entry for RP users after the next public Ares release, and to discuss the converter.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Just provide a converter once ARES is fully finished, for now a rough conversion guide for usual stuff is all that is needed IMO.