Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer RAM limits
Looking for a serious response for this. I am hoping this would count as general discussion. A friend was telling me that if your computer can have up to 16 RAM you should only put in 8 cuz if you put 16 RAM in your computer it will slow it down. Isn't if your computer and processor can hold the 16 RAM then you should be able to run 16 no problem???
16 what? Pigeons, turds, bytes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Ad...ft_Windows
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pla...AEdrv.mspx
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+memory+limit

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
I think he meant 16 separate RAMs for 16 slots :s..

If you ask me, I'd say your friend is an 'N.U.T'... Seriously.. If using your PC's full potential makes it run slow, then the manufacturer would probably double the potential without mentioning it, just so they don't get baseless complains for people like you friend.. Ye get what I'm sayin?
ALL HAIL!!!! King of the Loosers
ugh.. Never mind..

[Image: 9c3cfb081d.png]

"Engine 2 is 'no longer' on fire." -One of those penguins from Madagascar (though, I can't seem to recall that guy's name.. Nay, who cares?)
He meant 16GB of RAM. He went to the chat and asked Renegade. Don't remember the answer though.
yes Rayne is right. I meant to hit cancel before I posted the topic because I remembered the chat thing. I tried deleting this post, but it says I don't access to delete it. My friend thinks that if you put the max amount of gigs of RAM a computer can safely use it will slow your computer down. He claims he was told by two people that build computers about this and before you ask why he would want to have this much RAM......it is for 300 bots for Mobsters Myspace app he plays. Yeah he cheats.....which I can't see why cheat, where is the fun in that?? and as for being a N.U.T. I would have used a harsher word than that....lol Thanks DCoder for the links....I will have to pass them along to the nut.......I took some computers back in Junior High and I thought I was correct when I told him that as long as your computer was able to handle it, it would be fine and it would not slow it down.
also, putting in more than 3GB of RAM, or 4GB if you have onboard graphics is pointless unless you're running a 64bit version of windows. but i'm sure we all knew that already.

As far as i know, 16GB shouldn't slow down your computer, if the mobo says it can handle it, and the CPU is compatible with it (which most new 64bit CPUs should be), then you shouldn't have any problems.
I do not believe that is truly the case. Although my understanding of it is not clear I believe that a feature called PAE can extend the address space to 64GB on a 32bit OS although any given process can only ever use up to the application address space limit (normally 2GB on xp, can be extended to 3GB at the expense of kernel address space). However the 32Bit versions XP are deliberately limited to 4GB total address space (vista possibly is as well) even with PAE enabled. The 32bit versions of server 03 can utilise more than 4GB though depending on edition. At any rate, more memory will not slow the system.
PAE was linked to by DCoder in the original reply, less than 8 hours after the original reply.

Also, this thread was dead, people. Let it die.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.