Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parallel port adaptor
Let me start out be explaining the situation.

At work (i work in a college), we have PIC Programming Developement Boards that connect to Laptops Via a Parallel port cable. Problem is that these Laptop are used by other students aswell, who don't look after them, so these laptops are dying, and need replacing. Seriously, they've been scratched to hell, have parts falling off, not to mention hardware failures.

IT services have already bought new laptops, which lack the needed Parallel port, so i thought i'd get around the problem by buying a USB LPT adaptor cable. problem there is, they're hard to find. I eventually found something called a port replicator, which includes a parallel port, so i bought 1 of those to test it with.

This is basicly to avoid having to re-buy USB versions of the PIC Programming Development kits, which will cost £250 each, and we'd need 20 of them, so thats £5000 we don't have, where its about £12.50 for the port replicator, so £250 total with this solution.

now, that is the situation, now here's the problem.

The PIC board requires a Parallel port as LPT1, LPT2, or LPT3, with corosponding addresses of 0x378, 0x278 or 0x3BC, however, the Port Replicator assigns its Parallel port to windows as USB002.

now here's the question, does anyone know of any software or driver than can remap USB002 to any LPT port?