Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Me fail english, thats unpossible!
I'm involved in a thread at PPM here where Dutchy is relaying a message basically saying that I am wrong in some way about either what I've said in the thread or my implementation of the tunnel tiles in the TX (its exceptionally vague... ). I'm just curious if anyone has any idea to what they are referring so I can 1. fix a problem if its with the TX or 2. correct what I am saying if I got some specific wrong or confused. While this is slightly motivated by my own arrogance (me wrong? NEVER!), I'd also like to be able to correct/fix whatever it is as a kind of "f**k Icy we don't need him if he's going to be a tool" as well.

I believe there was some issue with early versions of the tunnel tiles where the terrain behaved differently to what was set. I'm not sure if the problem was with what I'd done to the tiles or (more likely) a bug in TMP editor. I also don't recall if they got fixed or were going to be fixed by MetalMario who had a large number of additions to the TX in development which never got finished. Any insight would be appreciated by anyone in the know Wink

Edit:
On rereading the thread, it might relate to me telling Dutchy that Tunnel logic was not broken in RA2/YR at the exe level and didn't need a patch.
Umm...I am 100% sure I used tunnels on maps in YR before with no problems at all - it may have been with TX installed, not sure about that, but definitely without an exe hack. The only common reservation was that infantry might get stuck in tunnels, mirrored the description of the map Tunnel Training here.

Matze mentions "some problems" with tunnels on his site
TheMatze Wrote:2. FA2YR now has another functionality in FAData.ini: AllowTunnels will enable tunnel editing (debug only, RA2/YR seems to have some problems with tunnels).
and states in the tunnel tutorial in the FA2 distribution that it doesn't work for RA2 - but the very fact that he doesn't mention YR at all is a pretty good indicator that the tutorial simply hasn't been changed since FA1. (Why would he add AllowTunnels to FA2YR if it was clear before YR even came out that it wouldn't support Tunnels?)

There are also tutorials which clearly make no reference to exe hacks.
And this exchange between Icy and Dutchy should be of interest to you.
The same general sentiment is displayed here - FA2 might be a bitch about them, but if you add the tunnels manually, they work fine.
Our own documentation on tunnels explicitly only mentions TX as a requirement for tunnels on YR (twice, too). One would think, having hosted the RP docs, we, of all people, would know if tubes need RockPatch or not.

To sum it up, I do believe this is just yet another instance of the n00b-elite talking out of their ass.
This is also clearly evidenced by the fact that Dutchy keeps insisting Icy is the only one who knows how to do it, after crevio already posted screenshots of his tunnel and later directly mirrors my own experience:
crevio Wrote:Im just running plain old RA2 no terrain expansions, no ini file changes, except for FA2 of course...Like I said my tunnels are working fine, units dont get stuck or anything. I dont really care for a bendy tunnel because ive tried and are a b--ch to make, I'll just take what i got.Thanks guys

The tunnel logic in RA2/YR does not need an exe hack to work. It takes some manual work at times, so it's dark magic to the TibEd crowd, but that's about it.

Ignore the n00bs and focus your energy on things more important - like reinstating the TX website Wink
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
This is pretty much what I thought since I had tunnels working perfectly as far as I could tell from some of the earliest versions of the TX, so I wondered what Dutchy was going on about and if it was something I'd missed (I did think it unlikely). I'm uploading the TX website I pulled down from C-Gen as it crumbled around me this weekend hopefully so we can get discussion of it done in the right place again.
lol, no offense, but, you would fail in English if you use UNpossible, instead of IMpossible... XD
ALL HAIL!!!! King of the Loosers
ugh.. Never mind..

[Image: 9c3cfb081d.png]

"Engine 2 is 'no longer' on fire." -One of those penguins from Madagascar (though, I can't seem to recall that guy's name.. Nay, who cares?)
It's a simpsons quote.
From ralph Wiggum IIRC
WOOSH Tempest LOL

Sounds good Blade.
Forum Rules

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
"I totally know how to do exactly what you're asking about, but I won't tell you."

Yeah, haven't heard that one before.
(15.05.2009, 16:19:36)Tempest Wrote: lol, no offense, but, you would fail in English if you use UNpossible, instead of IMpossible... XD
Again,
(21.04.2009, 23:07:15)MRMIdAS Wrote: [Image: thats_the_joke.jpg]
To bring this matter to a close, here's a clip.

I believe by now Tempest got that he missed the joke, so let's all get back on topic - anyone wanna share any additional insight on tunnels? (Especially the Disassembling Duo?)
Forum Rules

hey Blade it is I, Crevio, just wanna let ya know dont let this bother ya, nothing is wrong witht the tunnels, in fact i just got done making a map with 15 tunnels in it , straight ones, bendy ones, multiple angle ones, and even 2 that go under the water! and the cursors dont make a difference either for my map is made in urban climate, and map is huge 350x350, i can highlight my army and make them go all the way to the other side going thru multiple tunnels to get there without them stopping to even scratch there butt cheeks, so yeah they work fine....
I think the tiles that enable the cursors are involved in AI pathfinding, but I could be wrong. Might be best to see if the AI can use the tunnels too.
Ive already done that , and the AI has no problem whatsoever either finding thier way thru the tunnels. But! who ever uses the tunnels will have to have some knowledge of how to perfect them in notepad or whatever they use to view the file. not all the tunnels placed need fixing just a few. and like i said they work just fine in RA2
I know all about fixing the tubes section when FA2 mangles them. There are still graphical issues with the tunnel tops even if the tunnels work which requires some fixing in the theater .ini files, but that is just an appearance issue. I wouldn't mind seeing a guide on the bendy tunnels, specifically if you have any techniques for keeping track of where you are on the map after setting the initial coordinates.
Alright, I'm taking a break from my mod for a few days, been giving me a headache. So on my free time I will throw together a complete guide to tunnels. and if ya dont mind I'd like to add the tile fix file you posted up over at ppmsite.
Um, I think there is a bug in your expand tunnel tile file. I put it in my ra2 directory, it fixed the tiles, but pathfinding went crazy, and people started getting stuck. So I removed it and all is well again.