Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buildings limited size???
Is this true? if so you can not have a building 4X6? I tried flipping the hospital and only part of it shows up.

Flyby

Send a message via ICQ to Flyby

Default [TS/RA2/YR] Position & Angle of building SHPs
[Originally posted by Flyby at his 'Battle Lab' forum on the former Eclipse Studios Forums, 9th Aug 2002 @ 10.31PM]

The great difficulty of making new SHP’s for RA2/Yuri is to get them in the right angle and the right position. The method is based upon the use of 3dsmax or GMAX to make your SHP’s, hence you need a good understanding of 3D modelling.

After some R&D I concluded that in order to get the correct placement of your buildings in relation of the complete SHP picture, you need to place the backcorner at the 0,0 point. For those who want to do it manually, the backcorner of your “building” needs to be in the centre of the SHP image.

These are the valid SHP sizes :

0x0
1x1
2x1
3x1
4x2
5x3
6x4
1x2
2x2
3x2
4x3
1x3
2x3
3x3
4x4
1x4
2x5
3x3Refinery
1x5
2x6
3x4
3x5

Doing it manually:
Use an orthographic camera with an XY elevation of 30° and rotated 45° round the Z-axis.

I’ve also made a script that automates the setup, takes care of the camera positioning, lighting setup, background color, etc. For the moment it can be found at http://www.deezire.net/tutorials/fil...LSET_r1_10.zip

[!] There is a know bug that causes maxscript to crash if you run the script repeatedly when using the automatic rendering setup. The error does manifest if you only use the camera setup and then render out manually. Considering RA2 is a thing of the past now, there is little chance any further development is done on the script…

And the picture that says more then a thousand words:

And this is how a real in-game SHP looks like:
For crying out loud... http://modenc.renegadeprojects.com/Foundation

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3

1. When quoting messages, using the quote tags is advisable
  2. When quoting messages, you do not need to quote the button texts of other forums
  3. ModEnc is your friend.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
I was going to modenc when my explorer went crazy
So either you posted first, and tried to check after that (when Crapsplorer failed), or you tried going to ModEnc, your sub-par browser failed, and instead of trying to go to ModEnc again, you just spammed the forums.

Either alternative is not good. Check the documentation first, then ask questions.
Forum Rules

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
I posted first, then i was gonna go to the modenc (which i have the tab opened already) and look around, not sure where i would be looking. I would not have thought foundation. when i clicked on my tab i crashed.
So basically, you're saying "I would not have thought that information about the allowed values for the flag Foundation= would be under 'Foundation' on ModEnc."?
Forum Rules

(28.12.2008, 16:42:34)Renegade Wrote: So basically, you're saying "I would not have thought that information about the allowed values for the flag Foundation= would be under 'Foundation' on ModEnc."?

Well, I browse the MODENC. I have seen the topics, some of them I have no clue what they mean and haven't checked out yet. I plan to click on each of them save the info so I can have a printable copy, and read each of them. I agree the MODENC can be your friend, but to have to click on each can be time consuming, if I can read the as a book, then it will be a good friend. One thing I see about it, is that it can be a vague explanation. I don't consider myself a noob any more, I have learned some things thanks to people like you, Blade, DCoder, DJBREIT, Marshall, Deezire and a few people whose names escape me at the moment I don't purposely post something making it look like spam, I am trying to learn all I can to make a campaign/mod. I understand your post about you being God of this forum and not reviving dead topics and respect that. But, if there is a topic out there I don't want to make a second post when asking a question. I have to say there are only 2 forums that I visit on a regular basis because they offer the most help. I have tried searching this forum with keywords that I would figure to give me a hit, but when I read each it comes back as useless. I have found help in the weirdest thread topics.
Quote:I plan to click on each of them save the info so I can have a printable copy, and read each of them. I agree the MODENC can be your friend, but to have to click on each can be time consuming, if I can read the as a book, then it will be a good friend.

err... Modenc isn't like that. Reading it like a book would take way too long (its vast), and it would be much less time-consuming if you just visit it for the tag or logic you need help on, and save that page.

I mean, Mod Enc is "Modding Encyclopedia", and like an encyclopedia, its easier to use the one thing you need, instead of going around asking others before trying to read it all.
well, i don't know if I would have figured out foundation for buildings, i have not found any help with AI Production, however I did find the actions and events for triggers by accident. I was looking for the AI Production trigger for my nephew, I see posts saying its built in trigger. He made many attempts to get it to work and nothing. I tried it, it doesn't work. So......you say it would take to long. maybe it would take some time, but it might be worth it.
What does all of that have to do with the fact that you should have looked it up instead of spamming the forum?

(And for the record: It's kinda cute that you don't consider yourself a n00b, but threads like this are not helping to convince others of that.)
Forum Rules

Thing is, there's really no obvious way to figure out which tag is responsible for the foundation shape.

Short of looking at the art.ini itself, that is.
Code:
;  <<< applies only to building types >>>
;    Foundation = the size of the building [width x height] (def=1x1)

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
Oh w/e, I'll just answer the original question and get this over with...
Quote:Is this true? if so you can not have a building 4X6?

Yes.

There, question answered, thread obsolete.

And of course it is a rule of thumb to always search long and hard in old threads and Modenc before you ask something here. "I-don't-wanna-use-Modenc-yet-I-will-just-ask-here" may be still helped in PPM, but its better to check all the resources available before putting it to someone else's hands Wink
Actually, mt., the question was answered in the very first (DCoder's) reply - ModEnc states clearly:
ModEnc Wrote:Accepted values

All values are case-insensitive. Any other values will simply be ignored and the default used instead.
followed by the accepted values.

And the thread is not obsolete, mt. - it serves as a reminder to Nikademis to do his due diligence when researching issues. I understand that you were not at DZ at the end of days, but rest assured this is a development that needs to be extinguished at its core.
Forum Rules