Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impossible to get Launch Base
Marshall. At this point, I have:
  • Tried to get Launch Base from your website. After being with us for several months, your download page still returns an error.
  • Checked SVN. You don't seem to have a repository.
  • Checked your news forum. Your last announcement is 3 and a half months old, and neither of the two relates to Launch Base.
  • Checked the first dozen threads in this forum.
  • Did a "find all threads by this user" on you and checked the first dozen posts by you in this forum.
And I still have not found a single version of Launch Base, neither old nor new. On your website, you say "Download the public beta and see for yourself" - frankly, if I basically have to search every single post you ever made just to finally find an ages-old download somewhere, the beta isn't too public.

In this case, it's doubly annoying, because I was actually trying to get LB to help by creating a new skin.

Launch Base may be an awesome tool, but it's worthless if no one can download it.
I strongly suggest you provide an obvious, public download of the latest version asap. Be it that you finally restore your downloads page (which you should anyway) or post a sticky thread you keep updating.
The current situation is unacceptable. I had the patience to go through all these steps, and still came up empty. Do you think a new user is going to do all that? Generic users will click on the download section on your website, see the error, and lose interest. Period. No checking back. No checking the forums. They will just go away.

In addition, the whole business of not having the latest version up at all is silly as well. Especially in the US, many people are still on dial-up. And what if somebody downloads the binary at school or work, 'cause he doesn't have 'net at home for whatever reason? Are these people supposed to use a weeks or months old version, just because they can't live update?

If Launch Base is supposed to have any kind of wider publicity, the attitude towards distributing its binary has to change quickly.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
First post in the "Launch Base Beta Test" thread links to http://marshall.strategy-x.com/LaunchBase/LB_Setup.exe , with a typo in the domain name. As far as I can tell, that's the latest. The installer reports to be 0.99.225 .

Somewhat related:
I just installed from that link and asked it to update:
Quote:---------------------------
Internal Error
---------------------------
Launch Base has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Internal Error! Subscript out of range

Please contact Marshall immediately with the following:
Detailed information about what you were doing at the time.
Instructions on how to replicate the problem if you can.
The <LaunchBase.log> file if you have one.
The <except.txt> file that has just been generated in the Launch Base program directory.
OK

.log   LaunchBase.log (Size: 1.56 KB / Downloads: 438)
.txt   except.txt (Size: 177 bytes / Downloads: 460)

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
Assuming that D talks about my post: At least this post should be made sticky.
[Image: osen2o7mpmm4jg1fs0.jpg]
I sincerely apologise for my tardiness with this. Issues at work and in my home life have had to take precedence lately however I know that is no excuse for leaving things in the state they are.

I am going to be scrapping the downloads page altogether and have the downloads pertinent to each project on the project's own page. This has already been done for Launch Base.

http://marshall.strategy-x.com/LaunchBase

I am in the process of updating the site (and changing the colour scheme you'll note) and hope to get things finished asap.

DCoder, I'll take a look at that error you had. Can you tell me if this was a fresh install or 'over the top'?
Ever wondered what the hell is going on?
Believe me friend you're not the only one.
--Lysdexia

Check out Launch Base for RA2/YR - http://marshall.strategy-x.com
Also home to the Purple Alert mod, 1.002 UMP, and the YR Playlist Manager.
Thank you very much Smile While I would suggest more prominent markup, that is a lot better.
My success running Launch Base under linux/wine is limited. The installation went well, but I can't get it to start (yet). At first, it wouldn't start at all, because I was lacking MSVBVM60.DLL. Once I got that (standalone, 'cause VB6 Runtime setup wouldn't run >_<), it does "start", but immediately terminates with Error: 429 - ActiveX component can't create object.

I am pretty sure it's just a question of lacking libraries, but since my primary intention was getting the current skins, and I don't have YR installed anyway, I will not keep trying to get it to run for now. I'll post my new skin once I'm done. Smile
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Much appreciated Renegade. Any suggestions always welcome.
If you do get LB running under linux I'd love to know what is involved.
--Lysdexia

Quote:Can you tell me if this was a fresh install or 'over the top'?
Fresh, I installed YR and then installed LB. OS is Windows 2003 R2.

(And I had to code a fix for YR to even start up properly, sheesh.)

A fix for YR, Windows or LB?

You should find that your error is a one-off error - run the update check again and it won't crash.
I'll get the first-time crash fixed for the next version.
--Lysdexia

Correct, rerunning it works like a charm. Though you might want to get rid of tx.cannis.net update ping, given that cannis.net is toast.

(I had to code a fix in a form of a Syringe DLL for YR itself or else it wouldn't start.)

Indeed, where would be responsible for the TX now? Should I place the LB download for the TX on strategy-x?
--Lysdexia