Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
changing a map from Yuri to RA
I am trying to use the game recorder so I copied and renamed my rules/art/ini files and dropped the md after the name. I did the same with my mix files, plus the terrain expansion expand06 mix, but when I try to play ra2 (not yuri) the game crashes.
Wtf? Why would you think for even a second that that would work?

YR is practically a different game to RA2. Simply trying to use YR INI files, MIX files and add ons with RA2 is of course going to make it crash!

What has that got to do with the recorder anyway? And what has either of those got to do with converting a map?

Make sense, man!
Ever wondered what the hell is going on?
Believe me friend you're not the only one.
--Lysdexia

Check out Launch Base for RA2/YR - http://marshall.strategy-x.com
Also home to the Purple Alert mod, 1.002 UMP, and the YR Playlist Manager.
Has it ever occurred to you that, just maybe, those name changes were made for a reason?
Or, you know, that the changes go a little deeper than just appending -md to the file name?

In other words, did you actually expect that work?
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
If you want to play old red alert, put the old red alert 2 cd in and choose ra2.exe

It will then run the originals, without the -md

It works for me at least...
My account was suspended, so I had my nephew come over and log in so I can respond to the question. This will be my only time I will use this since my account is suspended I wont be asking any questions on here for 6 months.

Ok First:

Marshall - I was told by dropping the md from rules/art/ai would allow them to be used for RA2. I found on one of these sites that have the XCC Game spy, it is supposed to record red alert 2 games only not yuri's revenge. As for converting a map, it means that i am taking everything that i put into my mod using Yuri's Revenge and want to put it into Red Alert 2. I copied my map that was made for Yuri's Revenge so I can use the recorder. Since it didn't work and you say it won't work....case closed........Thanks for your feedback

Second

Renegade - I was told you could do it so, I did, it failed, Marshall said it won't work....case closed.....Thanks for your feedback

Last
MT - I have the first decade dvd, I wanted to take my mod rules/art/ai from Yuri's Revenge and put it in Red Alert 2 so I could use the XCC Game Spy to record a game....case closed..........Thanks for the feedback
Poland's Revenge......... a CAJE production...........release date 1/1/2011
Of course dropping the md would make them be loaded by RA2 - but the fact that RA2 tries to load them does not automatically mean that that's a good idea!
For example, I can perfectly fine install a 250 watt power supply unit into a 2008 computer - the connectors and standards are all the same, there would be no problem. But that doesn't change that, very most likely, the newer computer would need something like 500+ watts, and only giving it half of that (or making it use the PSU at 200% capacity) would be a very fucking bad idea.

YR's rules are designed for the Yuri's Revenge engine. A fifth of the stuff in there either doesn't exist in RA2, or was altered since then. How did you think RA2 would handle things like the entire side of Yuri, or Battle Fortresses?

Independent from that, I still don't see what all of this has to do with the recorder. As far as I know, recording the game works just fine in YR, and is no different from RA2. If it doesn't, that's news to me, and somebody should update ModEnc.

If you want to convert your stuff for RA2, do the following:
  1. For the map, you'll have to load it in FA2 and save it as a RA2 map, carefully removing everything that doesn't exist in RA2. Since I haven't mapped in a long time, I can't give you the exact steps.
  2. For the mod, get a decent text editor (e.g. TextPad 4) or the GNU Win32 diff binaries, and create a diff between the original, virgin YR 1.001 files and your modded files.
  3. Filter everything out that is not applicable to RA2.
  4. You will then have a list of all changes you did to the game that can be done to RA2. Just apply these changes to the RA2 1.006 inis, and you should be fine. (Provided you placed your graphics correctly.)

In addition, please do not imply you were suspended for 6 months. That is a gross misstatement of the facts. You were suspended for 1 day, the warning will just stay on your record for 6 months. In addition to that, take note that evasion of punishment very much is also a warnable offense, and that I am just not handing out another warning because I lowered your warning level afterwards, and the suspension doesn't apply anymore (which is also why I would have removed it already, had I not had to reply to this first).
Forum Rules

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
I have no knowledge of Game Spy, but the game's own built-in recorder (IPB videos) should work fine for RA2 or YR.
Ever wondered what the hell is going on?
Believe me friend you're not the only one.
--Lysdexia

Check out Launch Base for RA2/YR - http://marshall.strategy-x.com
Also home to the Purple Alert mod, 1.002 UMP, and the YR Playlist Manager.
I am sorry that I said I was suspended for 6 months, I did not know that when I saw the 30%. All I saw was the date 5-9-2009. I did not know about the rules under 1 of those tabs, not on the forum. But for the future I will remember. Sorry Renegade and Thank you.

The game spy is here:

http://xhp.xwis.net

How do you record a game? I read a post somewhere that said about adding something to the command line. But when I tried it, it did not work.
ModEnc is your friend.

Be advised to read the footnote associated with that, though.
Forum Rules

I knew I saw that somewhere. So, if I right click on my exe I am adding the -record to the target line? or is it ~record? I know a few games that I have played it is the ~
Easiest for a one-time record would be to navigate to the game folder in the console and issue
Code:
ra2md.exe -record
from there. You could also use start-> run, create a .bat file, or do right-click -> new -> shortcut and use that code as a target.
Remember to rename session.ipb afterwards to save your recording, and remember the footnote - if you change your mod, the movie might get wacky. If you want to display your recording to the public or just make it permanent regardless of the mod's state, I suggest recording it with the game's recorder and then researching free DirectX capturing applications. Once you found one, you can tell the game to play the recorded game and record the game into a movie file with the new application.

Alternatively, if you want something specific recorded, like a demo of your mod or so, you might also want to look into mapping, specifically map scripting - if it's for promotion purposes, a pre-designed and choreographed display of your mod's capabilities might be more effective.
In addition to that, you can also try to apply the current state of your mod to a map, and make a recording on that map; theoretically, even if your mod gets updated, the map should preserve your previous mod state, and thus the recording should stay unharmed (save for art changes and the like, but those usually don't affect the balance and outcome of battles).

Oh, and if you find a free application than can record YR, report back which one it is Smile
Forum Rules

when you say about the free app, do you mean like the 1 I found on
http://xhp.xwis.net. it says it has a recorder and player.
Renegade Wrote:navigate to the game folder in the console
Opening the folder in Explorer and typing that same command in the address bar also works Wink

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
But it's not as cool.

And no, Nikademis - if that screenshot is representative, the GameSpy recorder only roughly records depth map and unit positions, nothing more. What I'm talking about is an actual screen capturing application that is capable of recording DirectX graphics, so you can turn what you see on the screen into a movie file.
Forum Rules

I had uninstall TFD and reinstall in order for the MODENC way of record to work, but i cant get it to play, no biggie...found a bunch of trial recorders online and bunch of cracks and codes for legit recorders, but neither is something i want ....a friend has one that he bought says its ok, but if i find anything i will post up