Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help(YR coding)
First off - hello everybody here. I'm new. I joined to get some help and learn basics of coding RA2:YR. Oh, and thank you for making the How not to sound like a moron when posting topic. That should keep 11 year olds from this website.

So, to begin with.
I am currently making a mod, but I have a few questions because I can't get something to work.

1. Adding new buildings - making them constructable for Soviets

I want to add a gate, simple as that, just a gate that you put between walls, and it opens and closes. I need help, because I don't know where to start. Someone please give me a code for it, I will be forever thankful.

I would also like to add the sandbag-wall, pretty simple again, eh? I don't know how, please help.

2. Adding new colors

My last question is - how do you add a new color? I am bored of the usual ones. I would like to add(replace with an other color perhaps?) black and white, but again - I don't know how.

That would be it.. Please help me as soon as you can - the questions are simple, and I've done it before, but that was long ago and now I dont remember anything.

Thank you!

-glenn128
1. Adding new buildings or making a building of the Soviet side?
2. http://www.modenc.renegadeprojects.com/Gate
3. Copy the walls?
4. Change the palettes.

And have you tried the search button here or on the forums? It's usually very helpful.
Albert Einstein Wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
(02.11.2008, 22:59:03)Electro Wrote: 1. Adding new buildings or making a building of the Soviet side?
2. http://www.modenc.renegadeprojects.com/Gate
3. Copy the walls?
4. Change the palettes.

And have you tried the search button here or on the forums? It's usually very helpful.

I don't think you understood me. I'm sorry if I wrongfully explained my situation.

1. Adding new buildings; as in making the gate constructable for the Soviet side, so when you, for example, build Barracks, you are able to build the gate which is found under the base defenses section.

2.It doesn't really help me, since I'm a total noob. Sorry.

3. I'll try. Thanks.

4. How, and where do I exactly change them?

Once again sorry for my low level of YR coding knowledge...

Thanks for answering.

-glenn128
You illegally explained your situation? Oops

Code:
Prerequisite=NAHAND
BuildCat=Combat

4. Find them in ra2.mix. You're probably looking for isotem.pal. That's in cache.mix. As far as editing goes I can't remember right now.
Albert Einstein Wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
I assume for 4. he would be looking to change the house colours you can pick when you choose a side in MP. It doesn't really help that we don't know what level of knowledge he currently has though. If he has done it before though, I expect he has at least opened rulesmd.ini before and if so, should be able to work out what to do and if he still struggles, post what he has done so far and ask more specific questions than "how do I do X".
Ok, let's back up the first question was about the gate. I think having the AI build gates is pointless unless it is being used for a campaign, but that is your choice. Giving the AI to choose wither to build walls or sandbags they have always chosen to build walls for me, once again having sand bags is your choice and better for campaign.

you have to put the gate in as a building types. the number is where the are placed in the rules.i have reordered my rules so they are higher in the list then most people.

74=BORDERGATE1
75=BORDERGATE2

then give it rules.
give it Prerequisite=BARRACKS <- which side will build it. I suggest making 1 for each side (all, sov, yuri)

; Border Gate crossing in wall
[BORDERGATE1]:RH
UIName=Name:BORDERGATE1
Name=Gate (EAST/WEST)
BuildCat=Combat
Strength=100
Prerequisite=BARRACKS
Armor=wood
TechLevel=1
Selectable=yes
Capturable=false
Insignificant=yes
Adjacent=8
Owner=Russians,Arabs,Confederation,YuriCountry,Africans,Americans,tion,Africans,Arabs,YuriCountry
Cost=250
Points=50
Repairable=true
Explosion=TWLT070,S_BANG48,S_BRNL58,S_CLSN58,S_TUMU60
MaxDebris=0
Gate=yes
DeployTime=.044
GateCloseDelay=.2
ThreatPosed=0 ; This value MUST be 0 for all building addons
;DamageParticleSystems=SparkSys,LGSparkSys
;IsBase=no
BaseNormal=no ;psst....IsBase isn't a Rules flag
AIBuildThis=no

[BORDERGATE2] ;RH
UIName=Name:BORDERGATE2
Name=Gate (North/South)
Image=BORDERGATE2
BuildCat=Combat
Strength=300 ;350 ;400 ;200 ;wall = 300/concrete, pillbox = 400/steel
Prerequisite=barracks
Armor=steel ;wood
TechLevel=1
Selectable=yes
Capturable=false
Insignificant=yes
Adjacent=8
Owner=Russians,Arabs,Confederation,YuriCountry,Africans,Americans,tion,Africans,Arabs,YuriCountry
Points=30 ;50
Repairable=true
Explosion=TWLT070,S_BANG48,S_BRNL58,S_CLSN58,S_TUMU60
MaxDebris=0
Gate=yes
DeployTime=.044
GateCloseDelay=.2
ThreatPosed=0
BaseNormal=no
AIBuildThis=no
ClickRepairable=yes

give it art
this is for the gate that moves up and down the east-west gate and the north-south gate

[BORDERGATE1]
Image=GAGATE_A
Remapable=yes
Cameo=GATEICON
Foundation=3x1
Height=2
Buildup=GAGATE_A
SpecialZOverlay=GAGATEZA
GateStages=9
NewTheater=yes
CanHideThings=False
CanBeHidden=False

[BORDERGATE2]
Image=BORDERGATE2
Remapable=yes
Cameo=GAT2ICON
Foundation=1x3
Height=2
Buildup=EGATE_A2
SpecialZOverlay=BORDERGATE2_A
GateStages=9
NewTheater=no
CanHideThings=False
CanBeHidden=False

you have to put both shp files for the gates into a mix file. you have to put the gate in the rules. i think this is where. i haven't used them yet but someone will probably respond to this and say where.

ConcreteWalls=GAWALL,NAWALL,GAFWLL
NSGates=
EWGates=

it is 4 am so i hope i have given some help. I have no clue on what you want with the colors.
Ok, so due to the fact that I am a complete noob when it comes to this, I didn't understand almost anything.

Quote:You illegally explained your situation?

Code:
Prerequisite=NAHAND
BuildCat=Combat

4. Find them in ra2.mix. You're probably looking for isotem.pal. That's in cache.mix. As far as editing goes I can't remember right now.

I don't understand anything here. I've just recently started editing rulesmd.ini file, so I know how to change unit's/building's strength, cost, etc. But I have no clue what this means, and how to open ra2.mix, since it's a .mix file.

Quote:I assume for 4. he would be looking to change the house colours you can pick when you choose a side in MP. It doesn't really help that we don't know what level of knowledge he currently has though. If he has done it before though, I expect he has at least opened rulesmd.ini before and if so, should be able to work out what to do and if he still struggles, post what he has done so far and ask more specific questions than "how do I do X".

Yes, I want to change a color, for example pink, to black, so it can be selectable when choosing a color in Skirmish mode. I assume my level of knowledge would be.. on a scale from 1 to 5, it'd be 2. And I haven't done it before, I've made the SpySat constructable for Soviets, but now I got it working again, so don't mind that one again. I have opened rulesmd.ini and tweaked it to my liking, but my only problems now are adding a gate, sandbag wall and changing colors. Lastly, if needed, I can upload my rulesmd.ini, if anyone wants to take a look and give me a tip.

Quote:Ok, let's back up the first question was about the gate. I think having the AI build gates is pointless unless it is being used for a campaign, but that is your choice. Giving the AI to choose wither to build walls or sandbags they have always chosen to build walls for me, once again having sand bags is your choice and better for campaign.

you have to put the gate in as a building types. the number is where the are placed in the rules.i have reordered my rules so they are higher in the list then most people.

74=BORDERGATE1
75=BORDERGATE2

then give it rules.
give it Prerequisite=BARRACKS <- which side will build it. I suggest making 1 for each side (all, sov, yuri)

; Border Gate crossing in wall
[BORDERGATE1]:RH
UIName=Name:BORDERGATE1
Name=Gate (EAST/WEST)
BuildCat=Combat
Strength=100
Prerequisite=BARRACKS
Armor=wood
TechLevel=1
Selectable=yes
Capturable=false
Insignificant=yes
Adjacent=8
Owner=Russians,Arabs,Confederation,YuriCountry,Afr icans,Americans,tion,Africans,Arabs,YuriCountry
Cost=250
Points=50
Repairable=true
Explosion=TWLT070,S_BANG48,S_BRNL58,S_CLSN58,S_TUM U60
MaxDebris=0
Gate=yes
DeployTime=.044
GateCloseDelay=.2
ThreatPosed=0 ; This value MUST be 0 for all building addons
;DamageParticleSystems=SparkSys,LGSparkSys
;IsBase=no
BaseNormal=no ;psst....IsBase isn't a Rules flag
AIBuildThis=no

[BORDERGATE2] ;RH
UIName=Name:BORDERGATE2
Name=Gate (North/South)
Image=BORDERGATE2
BuildCat=Combat
Strength=300 ;350 ;400 ;200 ;wall = 300/concrete, pillbox = 400/steel
Prerequisite=barracks
Armor=steel ;wood
TechLevel=1
Selectable=yes
Capturable=false
Insignificant=yes
Adjacent=8
Owner=Russians,Arabs,Confederation,YuriCountry,Afr icans,Americans,tion,Africans,Arabs,YuriCountry
Points=30 ;50
Repairable=true
Explosion=TWLT070,S_BANG48,S_BRNL58,S_CLSN58,S_TUM U60
MaxDebris=0
Gate=yes
DeployTime=.044
GateCloseDelay=.2
ThreatPosed=0
BaseNormal=no
AIBuildThis=no
ClickRepairable=yes

give it art
this is for the gate that moves up and down the east-west gate and the north-south gate

[BORDERGATE1]
Image=GAGATE_A
Remapable=yes
Cameo=GATEICON
Foundation=3x1
Height=2
Buildup=GAGATE_A
SpecialZOverlay=GAGATEZA
GateStages=9
NewTheater=yes
CanHideThings=False
CanBeHidden=False

[BORDERGATE2]
Image=BORDERGATE2
Remapable=yes
Cameo=GAT2ICON
Foundation=1x3
Height=2
Buildup=EGATE_A2
SpecialZOverlay=BORDERGATE2_A
GateStages=9
NewTheater=no
CanHideThings=False
CanBeHidden=False

you have to put both shp files for the gates into a mix file. you have to put the gate in the rules. i think this is where. i haven't used them yet but someone will probably respond to this and say where.

ConcreteWalls=GAWALL,NAWALL,GAFWLL
NSGates=
EWGates=

it is 4 am so i hope i have given some help. I have no clue on what you want with the colors.

I only want the gate constructable, I don't care if the AI is going to build it or not, but I have played some mods in which you can build a gate and sandbag walls.

Ok, I understood everything until you came to the shp files and mix files. How exactly do I open mix files or shp files?

Sorry for being a noob, and thanks for replies.

-glenn128
LOL, i was where you were glenn128. Ok, a shp file is the pic file. every building or person comes in a shp file, there are thousands of them in side of the RA2.mix and RA2MD.mix Aa mix file is a file that people throw extra things they have created that they want the game to read that are not in the original files. look in your RA2 folder you will see expand files. The gate the goes u and down that is in the game faces north and south. if you look at my post for bordergate2, that gate is in the game, 1 is in my mix file. like i said make 1 for each side. practice with this.

take the rules I posted change the
Prerequisite=BARRACKS to Prerequisite=GAPILE. GAPILE is the allied barracks

Owner=Americans,British,French,Germans.

play a game as 1 of these sides and see if the game shows the gate. Since you are a noob I am assuming you have not added anything into the rules of the game??
(03.11.2008, 11:59:58)Nikademis Von Hisson Wrote: LOL, i was where you were glenn128. Ok, a shp file is the pic file. every building or person comes in a shp file, there are thousands of them in side of the RA2.mix and RA2MD.mix Aa mix file is a file that people throw extra things they have created that they want the game to read that are not in the original files. look in your RA2 folder you will see expand files. The gate the goes u and down that is in the game faces north and south. if you look at my post for bordergate2, that gate is in the game, 1 is in my mix file. like i said make 1 for each side. practice with this.

take the rules I posted change the
Prerequisite=BARRACKS to Prerequisite=GAPILE. GAPILE is the allied barracks

Owner=Americans,British,French,Germans.

play a game as 1 of these sides and see if the game shows the gate. Since you are a noob I am assuming you have not added anything into the rules of the game??

I've opened rulesmd.ini and copied your code into the Soviet Base Defenses section. I've put the Prerequisite to NAHAND, which should be the Soviet Barracks. I only play with Soviets though. Then I've opened artmd.ini and copied your code somewhere in the buildings section. However nothing changed.

Do you maybe have MSN/Xfire?

-glenn128
Ok, since you are a noob, have you downloaded any of the tools for RA2....utilities, map editor, expansion set?
(03.11.2008, 12:10:50)Nikademis Von Hisson Wrote: Ok, since you are a noob, have you downloaded any of the tools for RA2....utilities, map editor, expansion set?

I have no utilities, I have Final Alert 2, and I don't know what the expansion set is.

God I'm feeling so ashamed now.

-glenn128
don't feel ashamed. yer a noob and learning. if anyone looks down on u....give them the middle finger and say yer number 1

XCC Utilities http://xhp.xwis.net/
To extract the files from the original mix
To create the mix file

If you do not have the Terrain Expansion then you can get it here:

http://tx.cannis.net

start with these. I am still learning, most of my time is spent creating maps and new tilesets for the map. If I can help post a reply if I can't DCoder, Blade, DJBREIT, I think Marshall are good people that will post replies.

Do you have a copy of the rules.ini or art.ini
(03.11.2008, 12:28:19)Nikademis Von Hisson Wrote: don't feel ashamed. yer a noob and learning. if anyone looks down on u....give them the middle finger and say yer number 1

XCC Utilities http://xhp.xwis.net/
To extract the files from the original mix
To create the mix file

If you do not have the Terrain Expansion then you can get it here:

http://tx.cannis.net

start with these. I am still learning, most of my time is spent creating maps and new tilesets for the map. If I can help post a reply if I can't DCoder, Blade, DJBREIT, I think Marshall are good people that will post replies.

Do you have a copy of the rules.ini or art.ini

Ok, thanks a lot! I've downloaded XCC Utilities and I'll start learning now. I'm currently downloading terrain expansion aswell.

I do have a copy of rulesmd.ini and artmd.ini.

Thank you for all your time!!

-glenn128
no prob. in the utilities there are 2 mix editors, the one with the pencil looking icon lets you make a mix file, the one with the magnifying icon lets you open mix files, once you open it you see everything inside that file, if you want to extract a file then you right click on something and extract, putting it in a file where you know it will be