Renegade Projects Network Forums
Fiction Discussion - Printable Version

+- Renegade Projects Network Forums (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com)
+-- Forum: General Forums (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: The Renegade Inn (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Fiction Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=1811)

Fiction Discussion - Steel Mirage - 04.04.2011

As I imagine a great many people are here, I am somewhat of a military history enthusiast. One of my objectives in working with RA2YR is to eventually develop a series of campaign scenarios paralleling the history of modern warfare from the end of the American Civil War to the present and possible near future. Prominent themes include the development of infantry technologies and tactics, the introduction of mobile warfare, the introduction of air power, the development of naval tactics, etc, along the lines of different era's, each era with its own technology levels, but based on historical events. For example:
1) 1865 to 1890- The Age of the Rifleman
2) 1890 to 1910- The Rise of Artillery
3) 1910 to 1925- The Dawn of Automated Warfare
4) 1925 to 1950- The Golden Age of Air Power
5) 1950 to 1970- The Missile Eclipse
6) 1970 to 1990- The Computer Age
7) 1990 to 2000- The Era of Stealth
Cool 2000 to 2010- The Mobilization of War
9) 2010 to ???? - The Future of Combat
10)<undefined> - Advanced Warfare
I envision each era having two campaigns, one for each dominant faction of the time, and possibly having multiple alternate history versions for each possible outcome of the previous era. This would need a gargantuan amount of work, seeing as by the tenth episode there would need to be five hundred and twelve different campaigns!! Some scenarios would be ends unto themselves, but others could have fascinating twists and turns. This would be an epic series if carried out to the conclusion, the crowning achievement of the entire RA2YR modding community, combining good storylines with good modding, artwork, etc...
Yeah, its ambitious, but if you can't dream big, why dream at all?

RE: Fiction Discussion - DCoder - 04.04.2011

Yeah... that's not going to happen.

RE: Fiction Discussion - Steel Mirage - 04.04.2011

There appears to be shit in my cereal... that was quick.
I don't mean for this to be like a one and done deal. Its more about the story...
It is an ambitious idea, but its just an idea.

RE: Fiction Discussion - DCoder - 04.04.2011

I'm going to let you in on a secret: this is not the first time someone new comes in and decides to create a great big thing the next day. Nothing ever happens.

(Cynical? Mua? No, just old.)

RE: Fiction Discussion - Orac - 04.04.2011

Look at DaFool's Civ3 project, over on PPM - Note the fact that it was never finished.

A better thing to look at would be MigEater's D-Day project, at it's site here - Note the fact that it only really spans the WW2 era, but has still required a massive amount of work to get near completion, with so many units, buildings, terrain, menus, etc.

Consider working on something considerably smaller, imo.

RE: Fiction Discussion - Steel Mirage - 05.04.2011

I hear ya, just dreaming out loud I guess. I do big projects though. The novel I'm writing is probably sitting at around three hundred pages fiction, with somewhere around twice that in notes and concepts.
The point isn't to just walk in and create a world changing thing right off the bat. I was more just angling for a discussion of storylines and fiction, as the title of the thread reflects. I was hoping to just hear things like "I was thinking of this story..." or "What about this?" or "What happened during this and where..." and so on a so forth.
If its meh, its meh, seeing a topic die won't hurt my feelings. I was just trying to get a feel for what ya'll would think would make a good story.

RE: Fiction Discussion - Orac - 05.04.2011

I'd focus on learning how to mod YR before jumping in any deeper.

RE: Fiction Discussion - Steel Mirage - 05.04.2011

Fair enough.
Can I reserve the right to reopen this thread later without being labeled a necromancer?