Renegade Projects Network Forums

Full Version: Ultimatum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Right, this is my ultimatum for version 1.5 of Whiteboy's Rules. I must get this mod out; it's been in development for far too long and I fear that if I hang around for much longer I'll pass into the legendary development times seen only in companies like ID and Rareware.

So, I'm laying down the law here. In other threads, I have asked for help from AI editors, map makers and possible graphics editors. So far I have had a few people say they would make maps... I haven't heard from them since. Someone is already assigned to AI and has made a start right now. I'm awaiting feedback, which should come soon. And as for graphics... F-G and gamemate (!) have made two brand new SHPS for me, but nobody has offered to do some art ini coding for me or offered to fix up a few SHPS that need doing to make the mod "perfectly integral".

So, what I propose now is that if nobody gives me a map (or says they have a map in progress that will be ready very soon) within 10 days, I will simply not include new maps in the mod.

Graphics-wise, if nobody steps up and says they'll give me a hand with it within 10 days, I'll do it myself. Which will obviously delay the mod's release further since I'll have more work to do on the mod.

As for AI... there will be a simple AI that creates the new units and uses them... on top of what the AI already is, this should make the game more challenging (it's all in those evil paradrops the AI so loves to use so recklessely...).

As for the Beta testing, it's all going great Big Grin. Not many issues - I have fixed and changed a few things though, most significantly the paradrops. They are now not as powerful, and take longer to charge. I am working towards a final Beta. An Omega-Beta if you will :biggrin:. It is intended to be 99% alike to the final version of WRV1.5. After getting feedback from that, I will finish the HTML user manual for the mod, and release it, hopefully by then on a brand new site being developed by mrruben5, which you can preview HERE.
problem is: I don't have much time... . Unhappy
I was planning to make a big map, but if you want; I can make a small 2 player map. a small map takes less time to create.
A small map will do. If it's good enough and if it's the only one, I may as well call it the "Official map of Whiteboy's Rules" Tongue
I can get that map ready within 10 days...
but one map wouldn't make a difference.
besides, willl there only one version ?? :oo:
This is already the second version - there was a V1.0 and this is V1.5. Depending on ho "finished" I conside V1.5 to be, I will make more versions. I have a big plan to rearrange some tech levels around and add secondary country-specific things instead of just giving the originals to other countries when they have teched up enough.

Thanks truefeel, I'm eagerly awaiting the map! Big Grin
it is almost ready...

one thing thought: are their new tech buodings in the mod ?? if so, post their names + the description of it; I've decided to set one new tech building for the map.

D?mon

I can do graphics, and weren't you supposed to be adding me to the beta tester list? I still can't see the private forum.
whiteboy ?? can you please answer my last question ??
Make it a Tech Secret Lab truefeel. The proper name in the ini files is [CASLAB]. It is the most unambiguous of the tech structures in this mod - all it really does is let the player who captures it be able to build the new basic tank units for each side - Railtanks, Reapers and Floating Fortresses... is there water in this map BTW?

H.D.M.... I honestly cannot remember saying I'll make you a beta tester! But without hesitation, I will ask Cannis to grant you access to the private forum. The graphics editing itself is really simple - it's mainly art code come to think of it. Maybe one or two simple SHP operations... the mod's progress will take a massive leap once I have peace of mind that the graphics are all in place. we'll talk about this later Tongue
Whiteboy Wrote:is there water in this map BTW?
yes, there is. there's enough space for water battles and if you don't watch your back, you will get your (and your base) butt kicked by dreadnaughts, aircraft carriers or boomers Tongue .

I really wanted to put in a new tech building, WB, instead of the usually tech secret lab.
I'm almost finished with the map; only some trees to place, some more temperate texturing and a quick look from flak.

oh yes, WB. you asked a long time ago how you make pkt.file. I founded a nice tutorial about. special thanks to flak.
http://www.cncdepot.net/?page=tut_marx_pkt.html
To add to the PKT tutorial, read DZ's PKT.doc from his guide.

If you are using the assault maps, then edit the PKT file in the assault dev pack to add what you need. Having more than 1 PKT is bad mojo.
Bad mojo eh? I'll remember that. But do you mean if the new map is an Assault map I should use the assault pkt? Or should I edit the assault pkt if the new map is going to be just a plain map? My mod is using both assault map packs BTW (as you know Big Grin). As a reminder: have you granted H.D.M. access to the private forum yet Cannis?

truefeel, depending on the accesability of the tech structure, you can actually make it whatever you want really. Here are the choices:

Oil Derrick and Tech Power Plant: don't use these. Too plain.

Tech Airport: Gives players access to paradrops plus a new aircraft - a Transport Attack Plane that can even carry vehicles, and is armed with an air-to-ground railgun. Rulesmd.ini name is CAAIRP.

Tech Outpost: Repairs vehicles like a repair depot, comes with a decent SAM/SSM weapon and allows players to build Howitzers (a non-faction specific unit in WR) and Whiteboy's Command Vessel - the most powerful naval unit in the game. It launches four powerful dreadnought missiles, has high armour, can fire missiles at aircraft, and can move pretty fast. This unit is expensive though - 5500 without any discount structures such as the Industrial Plant. This tech building is probably teh best choice - jsut be aware that it will give players a distinct naval advantage. Rulesmd.ini code is CAOUTP.

Tech Machine Shop: again, don't use this this... it's actually a Soviet building currently so it may cause some quirks.

Tech Hospital: this strcuture doesn't just heal all infantry slowly. It lets you move infantry inside it to get instantly promoted fully - but you can do this only 5 times before the ability is lost forever (affacts only that particular hospital). This structure will give you access to the powerful infantry that costs 4500 - Whiteboy (man, I need to change these names!). Whiteboy is armed with a Laserstorm launcher - a gun that fires a single bolt of lightning that, upon hitting the ground beneath the target and after a slight delay, erupts into explosive clouds of pure negative energy (oooh! scientific!) which are powerful enough to destroy anything within a 4-cell range. I mean ANYTHING - as far as I know, nothing can survive it except aircraft, which it misses entirely. When Whiteboy reaches elite status, he gains a flak weapon for AA. Note that he has a slow ROF. The tech hospital has a con to it - it will very slowly DRAIN cash from your reserves. This structure would be another good choice - keep in mind it's large size and try to make it hard to reach - it will give players superior infantry (and superior land firepower at that). Rulesmd.ini name is CATHOSP.

And finally, not really a tech structure but actually the building which you can normally access once you have built pretty much everything. It's expensive - 8500 - requires 500 power and drains cash slowly... it has a good AA missile weapon. The main weapon however is a cluster nuke. Put simply, this is a weapon that fires an undestroyable cluster of three missiles on exactly the same target, each as powerful as the Soviet nuclear missile. It has a large range (37) but very low ROF. You can select a specific infantry, unit or structure, or simply use CTRL to force-fire on any area within range. The structure itself is quite weak (Strength 100, Armor wood) and it will explode like a nuke once destroyed. This stucture is called the Cluster Nuke Silo and it will give players superiority over land - if they can protect it for long enough to fire off a few nukes. Making this structure hard to reach both geographically and warringly is essential if you want a game to last long. Rulesmd.ini name is YAROCK.

Take your pick truefeel. The Outpost or Secret Lab is probably best for a fair map - the Cluster Nuke Silo is a bit hardcore... even if it is restricted to just this map, I don't think making it the tech structure of the official WR map will appeal to people wanting a "normal" map to play on.
hmmm...
I will deside later; now I wan't do finish it first.
Quote:Bad mojo eh? I'll remember that. But do you mean if the new map is an Assault map I should use the assault pkt? Or should I edit the assault pkt if the new map is going to be just a plain map? My mod is using both assault map packs BTW (as you know ).
Your new maps can use any game mode at all, it's just that you should have only 1 PKT file, else all maps (inlcuding the standard ones) will get listed twice. Read DZ's guide, PKT files are very simple to understand.
Quote:As a reminder: have you granted H.D.M. access to the private forum yet Cannis?
Oops I forgot - he's got access now.
Quote:Tech Machine Shop: again, don't use this this... it's actually a Soviet building currently so it may cause some quirks.
Eh? Lots of maps use this. Why didn't you just make a new BuildingType?
Pages: 1 2 3